CES 2013: Canopy Sensus Case Adds Touch Controls to the iPhone's Back

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Canopy's Sensus iPhone case (via Engadget) is touch-enabled, with 10 different touch input points across the back and the right side of the case. The touch input allows for users to interact with apps without blocking the screen with a finger, a useful function for iOS gaming. It is similar in design to the rear trackpad of Sony's PlayStation Vita.

[​IMG]
    The Sensus, which resembles a slightly thicker than average iPhone case, has integrated apps that are designed for the visually impaired, along with Braille entry on its touch panels. The company is working on additional apps and has released a software development kit for developers.

It is constructed from durable polycarbonate with rubber corners to protect the iPhone from bumps and falls. It comes equipped with a built-in processor that monitors touch input, and it is powered through the charging port of the iPhone.

At this point in time there is only a version for the iPhone 4/4S on display at CES, but the company is working on a version for Apple's iPhone 5.

Canopy's Sensus case will be available during the Summer of 2013, at a cost between $59 and $99.

Article Link: CES 2013: Canopy Sensus Case Adds Touch Controls to the iPhone's Back

2. macrumors 603

appleguy123

I might bite if they could get it to work for scrolling, even if it requires a jailbreak.

3. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Wait, summer of 13 and they demoed it on a 4S?

4. macrumors 6502a

This is pretty cool. Summer 2013 though? Hopefully it will be a better prediction than many of the Thunderbolt docks. ;-)

5. macrumors member

Immediately made me think of the Vita. Don't know why! :p

Seriously, I like the look of this a lot.

6. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Shame that it only works with a limited number of apps. If the case worked with anything and was basically a mirror of the front touch screen, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

7. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I agree.

Alas, there's a vicious cycle that's likely to occur wiith this accessory that has occurred with many others:
    They won't sell very well because there won't be many apps and there won't be many apps because it won't sell very well.

8. macrumors member

So, now?

/Australia

9. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

I still cant really get used to the vita back touch pad, just seems so strange after years of iphones.

10. macrumors 68000

iGrip

Ugh. That sounds complicated. It is contrary to Apple's entire design ethos.

11. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

I can see how this would be useful for some FPS games, but not for lots of others like Angry birds.

12. macrumors member

Worst Videography Ever

I can't believe how poorly this video was shot!!

13. macrumors 65816

matteusclement

agreed.

14. macrumors 6502

Released just in time to be outdated. Awesome

15. macrumors newbie

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on this (pun intended)

16. macrumors demi-god

Cheapos for not licensing the 30 pin or the lighting port...... micro usb really. Yes every other phone uses them but a household that is all iphones would not have many laying around.. yet another cable to buy

17. macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

It comes with one, I believe. Their previous cases did.

I've worked with this company before. They're based in Minneapolis, not far from my company. Their SDK is fairly non-complicated so hopefully lots of developers can take advantage of this.

18. macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

That is cool!!

19. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Really! Makes you wonder how long they worked on it. They've got 6 mos to adapt it to the iPhone5.

20. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The concept of touch based input shouldn't be complicated to an iPhone user. Having a sensor on the back is a cool idea and worked well for Sony with the Vita.

21. macrumors 68000

iGrip

How many families are all-iPhone?

Out of smartphones, iPhones don't even have a 20% share. Out of all phones, the percentage is MUCH lower. That means that pretty much everybody does NOT use an iPhone.

Which means, in turn, that families without a mini-USB phone charger (or 3) handy are strange folks indeed.