CES 2013: Griffin PowerDock 5 Charges and Organizes Up to 5 iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Griffin yesterday announced (via Engadget) the forthcoming launch of its PowerDock 5, a $99.99 charging station that organizes up to five iOS devices in the space otherwise taken up by one iPad laid flat.
    The PowerDock 5 will launch later this spring.

[​IMG]
    Griffin PowerDock 5
    Griffin is also introducing several other charging accessories at CES, including the PowerBlock wall charger ($29.99) and PowerJolt car charger ($24.99). Both devices include Griffin's new "ChargeSensor" technology that automatically senses a device's power profile and charges the device accordingly.
    Both the PowerBlock and PowerJolt will also be launching in the spring.

Article Link: CES 2013: Griffin PowerDock 5 Charges and Organizes Up to 5 iOS Devices

2. macrumors 6502

It looks like a toast rack.

3. macrumors 65816

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    That's more iDevices than I have, but if they made one in a 3 model, that might be perfect.

I do notice on their website, cables not included.

4. macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

And since few cables are 3 inches in length, this setup will look messy REAL fast (that photo is deceiving). As if Griffin would offer cables...(and an array of Lighting/Dock Connector cables to boot)...

P.S. My wife is already flabbergasted that I have a 'cable box' in the first place. At least that's hidden away under the bed.

5. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For that price why not include the short cables like they have pictured?
    I also wish they had a 3-device rack.

6. macrumors 6502a

First world problem: filling in all 5 slots :eek:

7. nep61, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors 6502

$99 is a bit steep, but this is perfect for a family with 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, and a couple of older generation iPods.
    Griffin's products have been pretty reliable in the past -- in my experience anyway. Might give this a shot.

8. yod
    macrumors newbie

A burglar's dream - a couple grands in iOS devices neatly packed together ready to be taken.

9. snebes, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Because they aren't showing short cables. The cables (probably not even real cables) are tucked behind the devices. In real life, this thing probably looks like a cluster**** if you have 5 devices in there.

Seeing the empty picture, I was hoping the devices could sit upright connecting directly into a lightning or 30-pin connector. That would be a great 5- or 3-device dock.

10. macrumors 603

notjustjay

If it's just USB ports, there's no reason why you couldn't also use this to charge Android phones, Windows phones, mp3 players, cameras, Kindles, etc. It's not just for iOS devices. And that's going to make it pretty handy.

Would have been nice if short cables were included.

11. macrumors 6502a

Hmm..$100 for what is in effect a 5-port power-only USB hub?

Nope, no such thing as an :apple: tax ;)

12. macrumors regular

13. macrumors newbie

Way too expensive

So what's the difference between this and a 5 port powered USB hub other than the plastic little dividers and the $100 price tag?:confused:

14. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

When did MacRumors become the iOS edition of the SkyMall catalog?

15. macrumors 603

Rocketman

So it doesn't pass through internet at all?

16. macrumors 6502

Yes but, that's $50 more and can only hold iOS devices with 30-pin connectors...
    Even having to supply your own cables, Griffin's product is more versatile than the XtremeMac version you describe. The Cables, however could be a nuisance.

17. macrumors member

Blomkvist

We have a family of five and there are 8 iOS devices between us, so this dock could be a nice way to easily charge many devices at once. But jeez, for that sticker price, I would expect either:
    A. Include short cables to help keep the station clutter free and ease ability to pull one device out of many.

B. Even easier, incorporate some slots in the dividers that allow you to wrap cables around to keep them up and out of the way.

I'll wait for actual reviews on this one and see when the price drops.

18. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd be inclined to buy the letter sized version of something like this:
    [​IMG]
    And stick it on top of something like this:
    [​IMG]

There are plastic versions of the letter holder, I used to have one at work. You can find a nice USB hub for < $30 easy. This is basically what they're selling us for $99. If it provided some sort of actual power and cables, I would probably see the point of the price.

19. macrumors regular

That's why "hoping" hoping that it was lightning. But I do see what u mean by versatile since u could power droids or anything USB.

20. macrumors newbie

Because....

Because they in fact are long cables that have been nicely tucked behind each device.

21. macrumors regular

I can make ur version in my office tomorrow n save $99 lol

22. macrumors 603

notjustjay

That's actually pretty brilliant! You could hide the USB hub behind the last divider and it would look pretty clean.

23. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's also a great idea.

24. macrumors 6502

You've started your post with exactly why the cables are not included, because it's not just aimed at iOS products but any product that charges via USB, which means many different cables can be used - even if it was iOS, it's still lightning or 30-pin, which would they give you?

25. macrumors 6502a

USB hubs typically won't provide more than 500mA to each port. So if it charges, it'll charge your stuff slowly. (there's the other problem in that some devices don't like to charge from a hub which has no computer attached to the other end)

That said, there's no way I'm paying $99 for a couple of USB chargers.