CES 2013: LEGO Debuts iOS-Compatible LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As noted by Engadget, Lego has announced Mindstorms EV3, a new line of kid-friendly robotics designed to introduce children to building and programming robots while also attracting hobbyists and other robot enthusiasts.

[​IMG]
    The new Mindstorms system is powered by the EV3 Intelligent Brick, which features an ARM9 processor, 16MB of flash memory, 64MB of RAM, and the ability to function without the PC that previous Mindstorm systems have been dependent on. Lego has been producing Mindstorms since 1998, but the EV3 is the first version that can be programmed without a computer.

The Intelligent Brick offers full compatibility with iOS and Android devices right out of the box, and a new infrared sensor provides additional control over robots. Mindstorms EV3 also features Linux-based firmware, a USB port, and an SD expansion slot.

[​IMG]
    At launch, the set will include building instructions for 17 robots, like "Reptar" the robotic snake that slithers and "Everstorm" the mohawk-sporting humanoid that can shoot mini spheres while it walks.

Lego has partnered with Autodesk to incorporate its first set of 3D building instructions, which will be released in the form of an iPad app.

Lego Mindstorms EV3 will be available for purchase in the summer of 2013 for $349.99.

Article Link: CES 2013: LEGO Debuts iOS-Compatible LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3

2. macrumors regular

I really wish I had kids so I had an excuse to buy this...

3. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

All of those molded parts don't remind me of the Lego's I remember...

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors member

64gb of RAM?! Why does it need that much? (Genuine question)

6. macrumors 6502

I loved the Mindstorms NXT, such an amazing piece of kit. Had days of fun building some really awesome things. Wish I had taken it a step further like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtS52lqL5w

Would be a dream come true! :D (And a gaping hole blown through the middle of my credit rating...)

7. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm disappointed, you don't need kids to buy this! In fact, I would buy this because I don't have kids! Kids will just mess it all up! haha

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Lucky me, I have a seven years old "excuse" ...

This is actually nice; combine physical toys with virtual components.

10. macrumors 68030

I doubt it has 64GB of RAM - the nxt brick had 64kb!!!

I wonder if the guys who build Lejos will port it over when this is available. These make incredibly fun experimental/weekend toys for geeks/programmers - especially when combined with a raspberry pi and/or a computer with bluetooth!

11. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

That's true; last time I saw an old Lego Spaceship in Lego museum which we had too. Felt transported back 30 years

12. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

...I think I need to research this product, so I know what to buy my future children. It's just good future-parenting.

13. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

64GB could be it they offer a little camera (USB ?) in or for sound files ... Maybe 64MB ...

14. macrumors 68030

Looking at other reports it has 64MB. That's pretty good. That's 1000 times what the old one had!

15. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I never had enough money for these when I was young.

16. macrumors member

Thankfully, I just had a kid last year; so now I have an excuse to buy this! :cool:

17. macrumors regular

My one year old twin girls are all the excuse I need!!!

18. macrumors member

If you are old enough to have kids you are old enough to buy anything you want :D

19. macrumors regular

This is a very cool, albeit expensive toy! I don't think I can wait until next Christmas to get this for my 8 year old :cool:

20. macrumors 65816

designs216

My son is all over the place -- except when it comes to Legos. Too bad this little toy is so expensive.

21. macrumors 68010

It needs a smartphone to operate? That is a computer.

22. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

23. macrumors 68000

Wait...

You had *unmolded* Lego bricks!!! :eek: :p

24. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Haha. I'm sure you knew this but I bet he's referring to all of the "custom" parts that LEGO creates for all the different theme kits. And I agree with the poster you quoted... it's less fun when the pieces assemble more like a model kit and less like a generic "assemble anything you want" building block set.

As for the NXT, when I read the headline, I thought maybe LEGO had come up with a way to use an iPhone or iPod touch as the actual "brain". Instead of that big grey brick, they could just create a piece of LEGO with a dock connector and the wiring to connect sensors and motors. Then the iDevice itself could control everything and you'd have access to even more powerful sensors like the camera, gyroscope, compass, even GPS.

Actually it would probably still be a big brick because you would want batteries to power the LEGO motors. But you could probably sell a "dumb" battery box with a dock connector for much less than an NXT microcontroller.

I'd buy one :)

25. macrumors regular

This may be even better than the curiosity rover on Mars " :D