CES 2014: Sen.se Announces Wi-Fi-Enabled 'Mother' Monitoring System

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new company called Sen.se has debuted an electronic device called "Mother," which is designed to serve as a hub for a series of Motion Cookie tracking devices. Cookies are multipurpose portable sensors able to track a variety of information, including movement and temperature.

[​IMG]
    Cookies, which interact with Mother, can be stuck on any object and will capture and analyze movements and factors like ambient temperature or closeness to the Mother base station. A Cookie can be placed on any object to measure its whereabouts and its movements. For example, if a Cookie is placed on a dog's collar, it can track when the dog moves too far away from the base station.

Cookies are endlessly reusable and can be placed on a wide array of objects. They are reprogrammable and are able to handle new functionality at any time. Cookies have a one year battery life and a 10 day memory before needing to resync data with the Mother. 24 cookies can be controlled by a single Mother.

[​IMG]
    Cookies can send alerts to phones, and Cookies near the Mother will upload collected data to the Internet. A number of apps are designed to work with the system, and Sen.se details several different possible use cases for Cookies and Mother, including fitness tracking, monitoring for intruders, tracking temperature, monitoring medications, and tracking sleep.

Sen.se is comprised of team members that were previously behind a Wi-Fi connected rabbit called Nabaztag, which was a programmable and customizable smart object that could connect to the Internet and display information like weather forecasts and email notifications.

Mother is expected to begin shipping in the spring of 2014 and is priced at $222 for a Mother base unit and four tracking Cookies. Pre-orders will begin in February and additional cookies will be sold in sets of four for $99.

Article Link: CES 2014: Sen.se Announces Wi-Fi-Enabled 'Mother' Monitoring System

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors newbie

Don't you leave home to get away from your mother? :)

Seriously it does look amazing though!

5. macrumors newbie

Totally want one, but seriously horrible marketing campaign.

6. macrumors member

NSA freak stuff

Total control at home.
    Does it make any sense to spy your family's activity? NSA-ready?
    The culture in US becomes more and more strange and hard to understand.

7. macrumors 65816

I want one but don't know if I can really make use of it.
    Attaching it to a toothbrush sounds kinda gross.

Gonna stick it on my wifes car to keep track of when she comes and goes.
    (JK, not really married. But I do have a dog that I would love to find use of this for)

8. macrumors 6502

9. macrumors newbie

Mother will pick out all your girlfriends for you.

10. macrumors newbie

11. AngerDanger, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

With the right music, that ad could easily be a short horror movie about an evil russian nesting doll.

[​IMG]

12. macrumors 603

kas23

Seriously, what would people actually do with this?

13. macrumors 603

And she won't let you fly, but she might let you sing.

14. macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

15. macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Don't think I can rely on fitness advice from someone sporting a pair shaped figure

16. macrumors 603

Is it just me, or have the last two or three years of consumer electronic startup announcements hit some kind of an exponential slope of combined uselessness and utopi-Orwellian creepy?

It's like the dystopian cyberpunk nightmare future has actually gone on sale, filtered through pleasant industrial design, high-production-value intro videos, and good-intentioned geek ingenuity.

17. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

This might be cool, I don't know-- can't get past the idea of calling a product "Mother". That smiley face is just creepy...

18. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

I'll get ten of them and use them as pins in a motion-tracked bowling alley.

19. macrumors member

It's an iPhone 4/4S with a case.

20. macrumors member

21. macrumors member

devilbond

Fun, until she states: The ship will automatically destruct in "T" minus five minutes.

22. macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

This is why I've been into near-future science fiction, since around 1991 or 1992, when I first began noodling around with modems and BBSs and The Internet (good ol' VAX/VMS). TRAINING FOR THE FUTURE. I've been waiting for all this nonsense to hit for over 20 years, and yes, we now very firmly live in the cyberpunk future.

23. macrumors 68020

smithrh

Your comment doesn't parse, because sen.se is a European-based company. Perhaps the domain name should have tipped you off.

Did you not read any of the background material?

I can think of several uses right off the bat for something like this. If you can't, that's fair, but that doesn't mean others can't as well.

I hope you mean pear-shaped.

24. macrumors regular

I wonder if it comes with a womb with a view.

25. macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Yes thanks for the correction. Typing that on the go from my iPhone.