Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Western Digital today announced the launch of its latest SanDisk-branded product, a 256GB SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive, which it says is the fastest, highest capacity USB flash drive the company has ever made.

Designed to provide the speed and reliability of a solid state drive in the form factor of a small USB flash drive, the SanDisk Extreme Pro can reach read speeds of up to 420MB/s and write speeds of up to 380MB/s. According to Western Digital, a full-length 4K movie can be transferred to the drive in less than 15 seconds.

sandiskssd.jpg
"The combination of SSD performance and a compact USB form factor offers the ultimate performance and convenience for moving files easily and quickly," said Sven Rathjen, vice president of marketing, Client Solutions Business Unit, Western Digital. "With its increased capacity and blazing speeds, the SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive is our sleekest, most powerful SanDisk USB device yet."
Western Digital plans to begin offering the SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive in late January from retailers like Amazon.com and Best Buy. It will be priced at $179.99.

Western Digital is also debuting a new SanDisk-branded A1 microSD card at CES, which offers transfer speeds of up to 95MB/s. With read IOPS (input-output access per second) of 1,500 and write IOPS of 500, it can open apps and process files more quickly. SanDisk's Ultra microSD card with A1 will be available in January of 2017 for $199.99.

Article Link: CES 2017: SanDisk Launches 256GB Flash Drive With Read/Write Transfer Speeds Up to 420MB/s

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's so nice to see a successor to the Extreme Pro. We use them at work to re-image Macs; reinstalling MacOS takes a long time, but if you just restore an image of the hard drive to the machine from one of these flash drives, it only takes about 40 seconds to get a machine up and running with a fresh install.

They're blisteringly fast and now these are even faster! Now to get the boss to buy a couple...

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Accidentally ran one of my SanDisk extremes through the wash and dryer the other day. It survived like nothing had happened!

I wasn't aware WD had purchased SanDisk. Let's hope the quality stays. I have two of their extreme pro SSDs in my computer. Can't beat a 10 year warranty, and they are still performing flawlessly after two years of use.

Reactions: Happy-Mac

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
OH WOW! This is insane!!

I have the smaller size of these and I thought 200MB/s was fast for a USB :D

It looks like this is Plastic though? I like the idea of the aluminum.

Last edited:

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Sandisk releasing old USB peripherals at CES-2017. Someone clearly didn't get the memo.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It's so nice to see a successor to the Extreme Pro. We use them at work to re-image Macs; reinstalling MacOS takes a long time, but if you just restore an image of the hard drive to the machine from one of these flash drives, it only takes about 40 seconds to get a machine up and running with a fresh install.

They're blisteringly fast and now these are even faster! Now to get the boss to buy a couple...

You should try the Lexar Jumpdrive P20. I used to use the Sandisk Extreme USB drives but switched to the P20 (128GB) because they were so much faster (and cheaper) and they feel great.
[doublepost=1483585446][/doublepost]
Sandisk releasing old USB peripherals at CES-2017. Someone clearly didn't get the memo.

How is USB 3.1 old? Because they didn't implement a connector that only 3% of all laptop and desktop computers use?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Insert snarky dongle joke here
Such as why would SanDisk launch a flash drive that requires a dongle to work on USB-C ports? Even considering backward compatibility, for that price they should include a USB-A on one end and USB-C on the other.
Will pick one up once it drops to ~$50-$70 next year. Until then I have my Samsung T1.
I can't think of a reason to buy one at all. I don't transfer files (or groups of files) that large often enough to need one.

Besides, in three years these will be given out as promotional items at trade shows (Your Company Logo Here).

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
you're right, USB-C is the future, i'll throw out every computing device i own made prior to 2015 because they're useless junk now. the datacenter I work at will be happy, we get to throw away 8000 computers because they dont have the new connector, what junk, cant they think forward at all?

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
you're right, USB-C is the future, i'll throw out every computing device i own made prior to 2015 because they're useless junk now. the datacenter I work at will be happy, we get to throw away 8000 computers because they dont have the new connector, what junk, cant they think forward at all?

The flash drive: An IT admin's nightmare. People find them lying on the floor in public areas at work. I hear "Hey, let's plug it in and see if we can find the owner..." :eek:
"Up to 420/380MBps." I wonder what the sustained speeds are. What about Thunderbolt 3? Is it forward or sideways compatible?

Reactions: kwikdeth

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
USB-C is not the future. It's the current. Others are the past.

If Sandisk - and others - release flagship devices like these with old connectors, indeed the dongle trolls will be kept fed.

That doesn't mean one have to throw away everything. I wouldn't. But I also wouldn't buy new devices without.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
What I find fascinating is that the speeds and capacities of flash drives are taking off. Maybe it's in response to the decline in thumb drive sales that led to this marketing vacuum. "Hey, you're gonna need this..." SDHC/SDXC/UHS1 or UDMA CF, etc., is something else because of what they're used for; media recording. To me, these things are head-scratchers now that there's cloud file-sharing and fairly cheap SSDs. I'm just not sure I'd trust one piece of plastic to safely house my app installers. But then, everytime I get ready to make an M-DISC install BD, a newer version of a critical app or two is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.