Chained down Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ja Di ksw, May 14, 2005.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

If you do not have Tiger yet, and you use an Airport Extreme, do NOT update. Tiger and the Airport do not get along. At random times Tiger will lose it's IP addresses, and you will have one hell of a time trying to get back on. Its always kicking me off and refusing to let me back on, and I have to reset the router over and over, restart my computer, etc, and eventually it will just decide one time to let me back on . . . . . until the next time it kicks me off. Stay away from Tiger until 4.1 comes out.

This makes me sad, since I've been looking forward to Tiger and using Mac's my whole life BECAUSE this stuff doesn't happen to them.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have Tiger along with an AirPort Extreme (which I'm using right now to type this, BTW) and have had no such trouble.

I wonder what makes your situation different.

I connect via an AirPort Express base station that acts as an extender for the AirPort Extreme base station, which in turn connects to the rest of the network. I have the option of connecting via Ethernet if I so choose.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't know about the extreme bases, but I have an Airport Express and have not had a single problem connecting to it since I archived and installed Tiger on my iBook...

Did you upgrade, archive and install or clean install when you installed Tiger? And have you repaired permissions, reset (or even re-installed the firmware on) the AE, etc.?

I suspect that most peoples AEs work just fine, and that you better check your own set... ;)

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's a shame you're having problems. But telling everyone that has AE (which is a LOT of people) not to upgrade because of your problems is ridiculous :rolleyes:

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Don't go making sweeping statements like
    just because you have had a problem.
    I'm sure there are HUNDREDS (if not thousands) of people running Tiger + Airport Extreme (Try all the Apple Staff for one!).
    You're problem sounds specific to you to me, a better title would be:
    "Having problems with Airport express since Tiger"

I hope you sort it out, check all your network preferences, check them twice. I generally find that there's one tiny thing that needs to be checked/unchecked when fiddling with networks!

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Sorry, i should explain.
    The reason behind my forcefulness is because you are potentially giving the wrong impression to people considering a purchase. The way you posted makes it seem as this is a universal problem, not just an isolated (or minority) problem.

I hope i didn't cause offence :)

P.S. - A lot of people have said that Tiger has improved their connections, my network connection in college seems to be working - but i can't remember if it's tiger-specific or not - if it was - WOW! :)

7. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

I administer my brothers G5. We have been having tons of airport trouble since the tiger install. Maybe it is just a coinsedince.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, it probably isn't a coincidence...something got..."lost in translation" (?) when you upgraded. But I'm with the others -- I have an AEBS with printer, and an AE card in my iBook G4, and no issues. Also fine connections to a WEP network I set up at my parents' house using a Netgear WGR614. Also insanely better reception on a school WEP network, on which parts of our departmental building in which I couldn't connect at all before now work at close to full-speed / max bars. :)

Don't get me wrong -- I've had problems too. Some of which others here haven't replicated. But there are lots of people with AE/AEBS setups and no issues, so it isn't...pathognomic of the upgrade? ;)

9. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I should explain as well, my post was fairly angry (and apparently angered others). I know its not a universal problem, and did not mean to come off that way. It is just really getting to me that most of the day I have a +$3000 paperweight. I know other people (though not a majority) are having this problem too, because of posts on Apple's website.

To answer some questions that I saw, I upgraded from Panther, I have repaired permissions, reset my Airport (countless times), gotten completely rid of any new programs that I installed, etc.

Sigh.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you tried deleting all airport-related keychain items, or deleting the entire login keychain?

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, and also, have you tried creating a new "location" / deleting your current one? For some reason that I don't understand, at one point, under Panther, I became unable to connect to my school network, and this was the only thing we could find to fix it, strange as it sounds.

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've got a 1.25GHz AlPB with Airport Extreme which I upgraded to Tiger (clean install). It plays nice with both Airport Extreme and Airport Express base stations.

I have OCCASIONALLY had an issue after waking it from sleep, where it doesn't reconnect to the network - but 1) the same thing happened under Panther; and 2) It's easily resolved by turning Airport off and then back on using the menubar wireless menu (signal strength icon).

13. TechProsSD macrumors newbie

just for the record...

i'm a mobile tech support - and i was presented with just this scenario this week

i was sent to a business running an online store and they run all macs (iMacs and macbook pros) - they had recently upgraded to the latest OS and now their airport extreme drops them -- and the only resolution is to cycle power

so... maybe everybody could be a little less harsh towards Ja Di ksw - he's not making this up, it *is* happening out there - i went to google to see if anybody else in the world is having this issue and lo and behold.. they are!

so, i'm left wondering what i need to do? replace the router? any other suggestions/recommendations??

[edit - i should add that we updated the firmware on the airport and that appeared to work for a few hrs, then i received a txt from my client stating that it dropped him again and he had to reset to regain connectivity]