Chaining together routers?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by FredT, Jun 27, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2008
    I'm looking to get 12 or 13 machines all on one LAN. Unfortunately, it appears that 12+ port networking devices cost $$$$. Would it work if I were to take a 4 port router and plug another 4 port router into one of the ports, then another 4 port router into that one, and then another, to give me a total of 13 ports (considering the ports taken up by connecting the four routers)? I don't think routers work like that... please tell me I'm wrong. What should I do to overcome my networking dilemma?

2. macrumors 68040

Aug 28, 2009
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2008
    I couldn't find cheap switches earlier for some reason... thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
  4. macrumors P6

Jun 11, 2007
    switches work great :) just make sure that you get a PROPER one. if you get a 8 port gigabit ethernet switch, ensure that it supports 8gb/s TOTAL throughput, as some will have 1gb/s for each port, but a total of <8gb/s throughput. makes everything go slower :p

my linksys/cisco layer 3, 8 port switch has been great to me! some people have something against them but me like.