Chaining together routers?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by FredT, Jun 27, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get 12 or 13 machines all on one LAN. Unfortunately, it appears that 12+ port networking devices cost $$$$. Would it work if I were to take a 4 port router and plug another 4 port router into one of the ports, then another 4 port router into that one, and then another, to give me a total of 13 ports (considering the ports taken up by connecting the four routers)? I don't think routers work like that... please tell me I'm wrong. What should I do to overcome my networking dilemma?

Thanks

2. macrumors 68040

calderone

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't find cheap switches earlier for some reason... thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

4. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

switches work great :) just make sure that you get a PROPER one. if you get a 8 port gigabit ethernet switch, ensure that it supports 8gb/s TOTAL throughput, as some will have 1gb/s for each port, but a total of <8gb/s throughput. makes everything go slower :p

my linksys/cisco layer 3, 8 port switch has been great to me! some people have something against them but me like.