Chairman Dean

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

I hope everyone chooses to ignore the republican noise machine and give Dean the support he needs. The character assasinations will no doubt resume with more fervent smear campaigns. But it doesn't matter as long as Dean is receiving the support he needs.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm glad Dean dares to be different. I'm not confident, though, that the party will allow him to truly influence its direction. Contrary to what Uncle Newt says, it's the moderate Democrats who seem to have the death wish, and I don't know that Dean will have the power to nudge them back to the left in order to attract more people to the party.

What Dean can do well is raise money for candidates. And the battle to save America does not begin with the presidential election in 2008...it begins with the mid-term elections next year. The priority right now is to get more Democrats into the House and Senate.

Ideally, what I'd like to see is Dean engage the GOP in a no-holds-barred battle for the hearts and minds of voters. I disagree with him that we don't need to talk about how bad the Republicans are. We need to shine a light on exactly how bad they are and why they're to blame, and offer voters a positive alternative. We need four long years of hammering the GOP for the disaster they've made of things...because don't you think for a minute they're not going to be spending all four years hammering us -- even if they have to make things up.

3. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Dean seems to have the energy needed to invigorate voters. His real challenge will be developing channels of communication that are easily heard, consistent, and effectively counter the spin. He's almost overqualified for this position, I think he will do well though.

And Newt Gingrich? he flamed out a long time ago. I don't understand why anyone even thinks that his opinion matters. After his series of temper tantrums during the Clinton Administration I hardly see how he can reasonably attempt to paint Dean as being out of the mainstream.

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It has been the tactic of the GOP for sometime to paint liberalism as out of the mainstream. Nothing could be further from the truth, of course, but it has been a remarkably successful snow job on some voters.

I think Dean represents the right direction. He wishes to fight for a Democratic Party identity. Imagine that! The Democrats standing for something! I think we have taken the legitimate tactic of triangulation and used it to transform the overall strategy of some Democrats into Republican lite on every issue. The fight to save Social Security from Bush's privatization scheme is a line in the sand. Dean is just the guy to lead the charge on this issue outside capitol hill. Now, let's just hope there are enough Democrats with spines inside the confines of the halls of Congress.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good point that now seems to be a time for a third party that is dedicated to moderate values to come forth.

I and many others are fed up with the extreme right wing, and the right seems to be able to use the limited extreme left wing to their advantage.

For a moderate party might have prevented the demi-god Bush from going into Iraq, and basic fundamentals of human rights and existence would have seen better times.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My sense is that the Republican establishment is at least a little worried about Dean leading the opposition. My evidence for this is that they started attacking him long before he was even selected. This seems unusual to me. How often does one party stick their noses so deeply into the internal affairs of another? Even rank-and-file members of the Democratic Party don't get any say in who is selected to chair it. So why do Republicans think their views on the matter are even the least bit relevant, and why would they (apparently) feel the need to attempt to influence the choice? Personally, I hope their fears are justified, but we shall see.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well after 8 years of GWB, the RNC has reason to worry. The DNC learned their lessons well in 2004, don't let any vote slip away. And if the body bags still keep coming home from Iraq, Iran, or North Korea in 2008 we will see that the American people are fed up with GWB's "base" and the raping of the worker class.

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'm pretty certain they still won't be able to muster the combination of intelligence and agression they'll really need to bury the neocon/Reb machine. The Republican spin machine has three monsterous advantages:

1: A complete lack of moral, factual and ethical restraints.

2: An extremely well seeded line of xenophobic/factionist rhetoric that sucks in nearly anyone who's easily motivated by fear.

3: The willingness to combine the above with illegal, quasi-legal and genuinely corrupt manipulation of the press and no-for-proffit political entities.