Chance of Apple incorporating a biometric device into MBA?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by McGilli, Dec 27, 2008.

1. McGilli
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I really wish, i mean REALLY wish Apple would get on the biometric fingerprint readers for their notebooks. As I have a MBA I wish they would put in in the MBA.

If you have never used a machine with one - you are missing out. Basically it replaces the need to ever type in a password again, for any site or application you use - even logging into the OS.

Apple is usually so 'ahead' of the others - I wish they would include this - even if it was an 'extra' model feature that cost more I would grab it.

Anyone else?

2. Ironic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Ironic

3. TwinCities Dan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  4. TheMasin9
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Yeah, right....

This tech is very much a waste of space in apple computers. We won't ever see it as anything more than a third party peripheral...

5. jonbravo77
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Sorry, don't find that much use for it. They should incorporate retinal scanning using the iSight, now that is technology... :D

6. SFStateStudent
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Please don't incorporate anything related to fingerprint readers; they are unreliable and cause nothin' but headaches for users. The War Department has a Dell computer (office issued computer) with that bonehead app and she's constantly taking it in to reset the computer at her office's IT department, and she's constantly using my MBA...:(

7. Les Kern
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

Les Kern

I have them on all my PC's and they work flawlessly... but I think the answer to this question as far as Apple is concerned is: No.
    They would NEVER ruin the artistic lines of any of their products. And THAT'S the only thing to consider.

8. SFStateStudent
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' but my off-duty supervisor hardly uses her Dell, and that's probably 99% of the problem. I'm not sure if she needs to do those automatic updates or what, b/c she uses her Dell maybe 1-2X per month and the rest of the time she's "bogarting" my MBA...:p

9. jtmav
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I had one on my last VAIO and it was buggy at best. Retinal scan makes more sense for Apple. Wouldn't disturb the look and would be forward looking.
    I like my Air just the way it is.:)

JTMav

10. shrtmkr
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I agree with the last post, even if they do include it biometric devices are buggy as hell.

11. Vulcan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If it is as buggy as people are saying, it would ruin Apple's "just works" policy.

12. jaw04005
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have a USB Microsoft fingerprint reader that works fine. Although I think they discontinued it.

Anyone remember VoicePrint password? At one point, Apple was a leader in mainstream biometric technology. Ahhhh ... the good old days.

Attached Files:

13. fteoath64
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

fteoath64

Not a chance!. Biometeric devices are very flaky!. I think facial recognition using the built-in iSight camera as a better possibility followed by password (ie 2 factor authentication).
    :eek:

14. NewGenAdam
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

In the future, I think one biometric identification method will reign supreme for simplicity of use; retina, fingerprint, facial scan. But none of them are cheap or effective yet, so we've got a wait first.

Either Apple will lead the new technology with a revolutionary use of it in a product, or other R&D teams will have to make it good, and Apple will incorporate it. If Apple takes the lead, it will be sooner... Either way, not soon!

15. yoyo5280
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I think the big problem for apple is implementing it in a cheap and stylish way. Samething with Blu=Ray.

I mean have you seen the laptops with it. UUUUUGGGLLLYYY

16. BornAgainMac
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I still use mine. I have a old Mac dedicated to OS 9 even though it is possible to run Tiger on it. It is my gaming rig now.

17. queshy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

queshy

Not in your lifetime.

Apple wants to avoid "feature creep".