iPad Chances of buying new iPad with older than 6.1.3 iOS on it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BBE, May 11, 2013.

1. BBE
    macrumors newbie

So...what are the chances if I bought a brand new ipad that it would have something older than 6.1.2 on it?

2. macrumors G3

NT1440

Literally 0 in a retail store.

Your only hope is to buy an unopened one from months ago off someone.

3. macrumors 6502a

tmanto02

Depends on the store/location - Do your research and find a store in a quiet location. Then ask the retailer to look in their system and find the oldest batch (stock is batched according to date received). I'm sure they will be happy to clear out older stock. :) Goodluck.

If iOS7 wasn't around the corner i'd be tempted to do the same thing so I can jailbreak my iPad again - I'd happily sell my iPad for a $50ish loss for a jail breakable iPad

----------

Sorry he has a pretty good chance - retailers like mine have had iPads stockpiled - iPad 4 is selling much slower than originally anticipated by resellers

4. macrumors 6502

Ha ha, that is exactly what I did.

Its not been too long since 6.1.3 was released. I dont know how it works in your country, but if you could find a store (preferably not with a dedicated Apple kiosk) and ask them to give you one from the older batches, you might get lucky. My excitement of getting a brand new ipad was surpassed (or should I say augmented) by the thrill of getting one with 6.1.2 :D

All the best

5. macrumors 6502a

tmanto02

You won't believe it! Apple gave me a free iPad 4 today (I am a reseller) and it came with iOS 6.0 on it! Just my luck!

Off to jailbreak land...

6. macrumors regular

buy on ebay

I bought an ipad 4 new and it came with 6.0.1 :O

7. macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Bought a brand new retina iPad yesterday... it came with 6.1.2

8. macrumors regular

My refurbed ipad4 has 6.1.3 on it

9. macrumors 6502a

Why does it matter? If it came with something older, just upgrade yourself. Or do you actually WANT an older version?

10. macrumors 68020

Jailbreak

11. macrumors 6502a

I bought a refurb iPad 3 last week. Came with iOS 5! Then I upgraded to iOS 6 to get Siri. If you don't mind having "last year's model" that's the way to go. I saved $200 and got all of the features of the 4, minus the A6X.

12. macrumors 6502

I bought a new iPad mini for the apple store 1 week before Mother's Day. It came with 6.1.2. I haven't updated it yet, just in case I decide to JB