Chances of iMac price reduction?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aldo, Jun 1, 2005.

1. aldo macrumors regular

I've decided my next computer is going to be a nice iMac G5 20". However, £1,200 is just too much to spend on a computer these days (especially when you figure in another £200 for AppleCare).

My maximum price I'd be willing to spend is probably £900-£1000.

Do you think we'll be at those sort of prices by autumn or the end of the year? I have plenty of time to spare, it's not a big rush.

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

unlikely.......you're asking for a 15% to 25% price cut to get to your price ranges.....that seems unlikely

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

You don't need AppleCare. ;)

Look for refurbed last Gens. :)
    They will be in that price range.

4. SteveC macrumors 6502

Not on the model they are selling as their "current"/"latest and greatest" model. There may be a new iMac by Dec. '05, but it's more likely to be 2006 before we see a Rev. C iMac G5. The price will likely stay the same until the next model comes out. Alternatively, you could get a Rev. A for a nice discount, but the Rev. B specs are much better.

5. aldo thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking that but the main problem is the graphics cards on the older machines -- considering I'll be taking a fairly major stepdown from the 9800Pro on my PC here, I really don't want to go lower than the 9600 (I won't be playing games but good core image performance is vital).

On the price reduction side, I've seen since January this year LCD panels go down in price by a good 30-50%, RAM down a similar amount etc etc... I don't think a 15-25% reduction is asking that much. But then again, this is Apple :).

6. aldo thread starter macrumors regular

I'm never buying an Apple machine without AppleCare. The amount of major defects in them is really startling and they often don't appear until your 12months has run out (been stung majorly with this in the last 3 years). I really don't trust Apple to make a defect free product anymore so I need some insurance against this :).

7. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

I think the iMacs are pretty fairly priced already ...

8. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Heck yeah. You get alot of computer for the money with the iMac. If I wasn't needing to be portable, I'd of hit up the 17" 2 ghz iMac. 1400 bucks on student discount. Can't go wrong.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Since you have time to wait, then you just may be lucky. The new Rev. B iMac G5 should be available before too long, patience is needed.

10. SteveC macrumors 6502

"The new Rev. B iMac G5 should be available before too long...?" It's already available... ;) Did you mean Rev. C or am I missing something? I'm looking at a Rev. B right here on my desk.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Chances of iMac price reduction?

super slim to none.

12. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Look in the Recertified section or even the sale section. You can get an iMac G5 1.8GHz. Yada yada yada, for $999 sometimes. Sometimes in the Sale Section, they'll have them for like $1099.

13. Willy S macrumors 6502

iMac is selling well so there is no chance of a price reduction at this time. If you have tight budget, I suggest the eMac. I haven't heard many if any owner complaining about them.

In real world apps they are not that much slower than iMacs. Neither are good for games anyway. ;)

14. DJC17 macrumors member

Huh?

iMac 20" isn't £1200 = Its £1,043 inc VAT

Apple Care is £103 but they are currently doing £40-money off!

I just priced up one on the site for £1141 inc VAT, Bluetooth Kboard and Mouse with 3yrs Applecare.