Chances of iMac update before Mini or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macjay, Feb 2, 2007.

1. macjay macrumors 6502

What do you think the chances are of an update or speed bump to the iMac before the Mini goes to Core 2 or the mac pro gets an update?

Do they definitely have to be updated in order?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Of the three desktop lines, the iMac was the most recently updated -- so I seriously doubt we'll see it updated next. MAYBE a slight speed bump in the processors (maybe each model would step up one level), but nothing more than that I would think. The next update, which I think will happen more or less simultaneously, will be the Mini to Core 2 Duo and the Mac Pro to Octo-core (or at least add the option of Octo-core). Bumping the iMacs up one processor speed step would be a good option for making room at the bottom for Core 2 Duo minis as well.

3. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

Are there any Core 2 Duo chips slower than 1.83ghz that could be put in the low-end Mini?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Core 2 Duo T5200 runs at 1.667 GHz

It's possible to still see a Napa based Mac mini Core 2 Duo. I hope they'll use a Socket P based Merom though. I expect an update in May 2007 when Santa Rosa hits.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

The mini is really starting to look dated and under powered for it's price compared to the iMac line. So, I think it's past due for a Core2Duo update.

I would expect the Mini to be updated before the iMac. And, I also think that the Mac Pro is due for a revision pretty soon. I expect both would be updated before the iMac.

I would like to see the iMacs improved or updated soon as well. But, I think the Mac Pro and Mini are more over-due.

For the iMac, I'd like to see a styling change or major re-design soon. The current design is just starting to look "dated" to me. I've had a few with that design, and would like to see something that is new and revolutionary there.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Doubtful until Santa Rosa.

Since November at least...

Once again WHERE is the upgrade path?

7. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm no expert, but the Mini and iMac were updated at the same time last September. The next upgrade could be simply a processor upgrade to the Mini and a speed bump at the same time to the iMac. Like Mini goes to 1.83/2.0 Core 2 and iMac goes to 2.0/2.16/2.33/2.33 Core 2.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I still can't see the iMac getting just a speed bump. That's fine for the Mac mini. The mini could either stay on Napa and move to Core 2 or just jump to Santa Rosa.

The problem with the iMac is that you lose the CPU selection for the 20" and 24" models unless you move to Santa Rosa.

9. MauiMac macrumors member

MauiMac

I think, in a few weeks or months, Apple will come out with a small speed bump and redesign the whole iMac (get rid of the chin + add hinge from G4 iMac (iLamp)) so people will have a reason to buy a new iMac... Then 6-9 months later when the new intel processors are released and available that will be another reason for people to upgrade... :)

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

For me the Mini needs C2D & at least a 64MB graphics card.

I would really like :apple: to change the size of the mini - say the width and depth of the new :apple:tv (7.7" not 6.5"), and cram a real HDD inside it.

The additional of an HDMI might be nice as well.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

GMA X3000 and it should support HDMI on the mobile variants.