Chances of improved Airport Express (soon)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jimmery, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Jimmery macrumors member

Does anyone have an idea on the chances of an improved Airport Express being released? Being "the year of HD," I thought Apple might add video output. I am more interested in digital audio output. Any ideas on if/when this could happen?

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I think Apple will update Airport when there's a newer official standard for wireless technology. At the moment 54mbit is as fast as it gets with an official certification. Some companies offer 128mbit and other higher ranged technologies, but from what I gather these are proprietary.

Wireless video streaming is probably still a little while away, as it requires vast amounts of bandwidth. It would also require video hardware to decode the signal at the other end.

Digital Audio.. Probably a lot more viable!

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

this is a very long thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=124495

from whatever i gather his "sources" seemed to have pulled his leg.

TMA:
    This kind of backups your idea.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=951

4. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

The next revision should be Pre-n or n with MIMO.

5. Jimmery thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, superbovine. I just went throught the thread--to summarize for anyone interested, there was a rumour of an updated Airport Express for this summer that included S-video and digital audio outputs, but nothing materialized. I'm guessing that this update could happen at the end of September (or later), when the U.S. promotion for 10 free iTunes songs ends (with purchase of Airport Express).

6. ja0912 macrumors member

I hope to see something like you're describing for this holiday season, but nobody knows.

TMA: don't forget that Apple went with 802.11g before it was an official standard.

7. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

Wait? Free 10 songs with purchase of Airport Express? I just recieved mine from Apple a week ago, how do I go about getting these free songs?