Chances of "scamming" a new iPod?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by coolbreeze, Apr 29, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Well, I've about had it. Literally every time I plug in my remote control, my iPod practicaly shorts out and goes beserk (starts resetting and crap). This annoys me to no end. I called tech support and the offered to send me another remote....umm, gee, that's like giving a thirsty person salt water to drink. The problem isn't the plug you idiot, it's the DESIGN. A new remote won't fix the design!

Sorry. I get instantly irritated when I think of this flaw. Back to my question. I bought this 10gb iPod in Sept '02...so given the one year warranty, should I "hold out" until like August and call up screaming about how I want it replaced? Hopefully by that time, they will be out of the old models and I will get a new one!!

I'm afraid to touch the plug when my remote is connected....the slightest nudge causes it to reset. That isn't good.

Do you think this scam will work?

2. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Wll hell ya might as well try, even though i think apple will just send you a new remote even if you ask for a new ipod but if you do get a new ipod it will sure have been worth it, mmmm nice ipods...

I dont think it will work though.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

4. Philoman macrumors member

Philoman

tazo, you are a dork. Go back into your hole.

As for coolbreeze, if this is a legitimate issue, you should contact Apple and send in your iPod with a written request to have the problems fixed.

If this is an issue with all older 10GB model, then you should request to have it replaced or fixed.

I feel that you will not get too far if you wait too long. Forget about trying to get a new one. Knowing Apple and their strict policy, I would not count on it. Try not to jump too far ahead. If it happens great, if not you are not disappointed.

What is important here is that you get your iPod fixed as soon as possible. You may have other problems so do not waste your warranty period.

If you really want a new model, get this one fixed and sell this one and put the money toward a new one. If you really like and want something, it's ok to get a new one even if it's going to cost you some more money. That is what makes it fun. If you have all the money in the world, ownership is not as fun because everything is easily replaced.

5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

My iPod does the same damn thing!!
    It pisses me off so much, that I don?t even use the remote anymore.
    I bought mine from CompUsa with the free replacement plan warranty, so when they only have the new iPods, I will replace mine!!

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hes asking about something that ppl act/ practice here all the time. his choice of language is peculiar but not wrong. I mean ibooking just got a ibook 800 to replace his 500. and all i had to say was hell yea and I wish the best to this guy too in ssqueezing the msot out of apple.

7. unc32 macrumors regular

you will not get a new one (as in the latest release). I had a problem with mine (scroll wheel 10gb) and needed it to be replaced. This was after the newer ones came out and guess what I got...the old scroll wheel one. I'm sure they have plenty in reserve that were refurbed or used in this case. I wouldn't expect a new one, the only way this would be the case if a lot of time had passed and the supply of old ones were gone. I don't expect this to be the case for quite some time though.

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

That is why you buy ?em retail and get the replacement plan, because retail stores don?t keep the old one?s for long, they?ll just give you a new right now!!

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

LOL!! :D LMAO!!! :D:D funniest thing i've read here in a long, long time! :)

but tazo, it might be okay to come out now, just chill out, dude.:cool: :)

and coolbreeze, you prolly have better chances of just trying to get you iPod fixed now, don't worry about trying to get a newer one.

10. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

To those that posted legitimate responses, thank you. I actually remember I have the 2-yr TAP from Comp USA, so I'm good until Sept '04.

To tazo. Give me a break man. I hardly think my post suggests anything illegal. Besides, the use of the word "scam" was meant to be a little humorous. Lighten up bro. Drink a Coke. Smile.

I'll just wait until I'm positive Comp USA is out of the old models and pay them a visit. Muahahaha! Hey, I paid for TAP, and wether I use it tomorrow or a year from now makes no difference...but a new iPod is a huge difference! No laws broken there!

breeze

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

LOL!! :D that's a good line. :)

and considering what you said in your last post, go for a new iPod!! :D settle for nothing less!! :D

12. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I might try the same thing, i bought my 10 gig with their extended warranty, mostly because i bought an open box one and was iffy on how long it would last, and the fact that the guy basically told me they would replace it even if I dropped it.

Id love to get a newer model when/if I get mine replaced. Id even consider paying the difference for a larger model.

Come to think of it, its probably a good idea to have some sort of "Trade up" program. I doubt it would happen, cause they would have WAY too many old models (although for the people content with the old style it gives apple replacement parts....)