Change default Finder window size?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fud122, Feb 22, 2007.

1. fud122 macrumors member

How can I change the default window size of the Finder window? When I expland the box, finish doing my business and close it and then reopen a new finder window (after restarting my computer for example the window goes back to the original size). Other windows like safari, mail etc...they all remember the size i left them as but I Finder can't seem to do it Is there a way to fix this problem? Thanks.

2. Mac the knife macrumors member

Hold down the option key as you drag to resize.

3. iShizzle macrumors newbie

iShizzle

Honestly, I didn't know that... I guess you learn something new about your Mac every day...

Great tip!

4. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

That only works *per folder* though, doesn't it?

The Void
    D fault

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Go to the Finder, select new finder window from the file menu, resize it how you like, then close it. Your resizing should stick for all subsequent new finder windows.

If you make any other changes (such as adding items, or using the window to browse to a new location) then it's no longer a "new finder window" and the resize change won't stick.

6. fud122 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone. It's working the way I like it now.

7. mrdj2u macrumors newbie

Best Mac tip I've found in 12 months!

Seemed like something I should have known, but simple google search brought me right here. For what it's worth, I was specifically looking to "Change the default column width within my Finder windows. Works great. Thanks.

JM

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

This method doesn't stick for long in Snow Leopard. Isn't there a hidden default size setting somewhere?

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I don't know about SL since I just have Leopard, but I've never run across that, nor read about it being added. The Finder really is a folder-specific beast.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

MacWorld recently has a nice article on Tinkering with the Finder's Column view. It taught me some new stuff, though I use list mode most often. The tricks work in Snow Leopard, but not sure about Leopard.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

clicking the Finder icon will open your home folder by default. change the size of this folder and every time you click the Finder icon it will open to that size.

also resize all the hard drive folders on your desktop. now you will only really encounter a default sized window when you create a new folder on the desktop or show package contents.