Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Is there a way to change the default view settings for ALL folders to List form (apple + 2) instead of icon form (apple + 1).

Simple as that. I just wanna know, i've searched but couldnt turn up anything.

Thanks

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
agentphish said:
Is there a way to change the default view settings for ALL folders to List form (apple + 2) instead of icon form (apple + 1).

Simple as that. I just wanna know, i've searched but couldnt turn up anything.

Thanks

Yeah I had the same problem, after a while it should notice your new preference accordingly. Well it did for me :)

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
forgive me for saying so, but i dont think thats something OSX "learns" to do for ALL folders. You can set it that way and next time you go back to that folder it will probably be that way but there is no guarantee of that. Often times i find that folders end up going back to their "Icon" view, which seems to be the default for os x.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
You are right! Finder doesn't always remember the last view option and most of the times it will be in icons default view. I am fine with it as I prefer to icons view as it is neater. :)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Well, i'm not 100% sure, but I know how you can make some changes.

1) Click on the Finder icon in the dock (with no other windows open) or hit CMD + N to create a new finder window.
2) Then, change the size of the window, and it's position on the screen.
3) Close the window.
4) Repeat step 1.

Your Finder window should now retain the knowledge of being in that position and that size. I thought that is how you changed the default view as well, but I can't remember. I have mine in column view, and I can't change the default back to icon view for the purposes of this example.

Hopefully that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.