Change default Workgroup name???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by czeluff, Feb 26, 2007.

1. czeluff macrumors 6502

In my Windows-oriented office, they run under the workgroup name "RAPPIDMAPPER". (usually the name is WORKGROUP).

Under Finder, when I click Network on the left sidebar, it opens up displaying the folder "Workgroup". I'm guessing that OSX also defaults to the name Workgroup.

Is there a way to change this?

cz

2. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

To change windows workgroup name in OSX, you need to have BSD Subsystem installed when you installed OSX. If you don't, reinstall with it installed.

If you had it installed, navigate to Applications\Utilities and double-click Directory Access. Click the lock and supply the Mac's Administrator password to enable changes. Select the SMB and click Configure. In the resulting Directory Access window, supply the workgroup name you want and click OK.

BTW, google is your friend. :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is BSD Subsystem an optional install? I've always had Directory Access and the ability to change workgroups through it without having to install anything special.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It is definitely optional, but it is selected by default when you install OS X. You have to manually disable it if you do not want it. I'll look for some documentation.

Edit: This is a little out of date (10.2), but I don't think it changed.
    "Unless you choose not to install it, the BSD subsystem is installed by default when you install Mac OS X."
    link

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, thanks, Sir Mega Man. :) I guess my notion of custom meant that it was not installed by default. But anyways, learn something new every minute.... which is easy when you (like me) don't know too much. :D

6. bz3tower macrumors newbie

Help please..

I've changed windows workgroup name as you have written but "Workgroup" still exists, how can I remove it???

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It could also be possible that someone else's PC is on the same network but has his "default workgroup" set to Workgroup.
    Can you browse the "RAPPIDMAPPER" workgroup though?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're seeing the workgroup you (do) want, but you still see "WORKGROUP," I'd ignore it, personally... cut your losses. :p