Change icons for filetypes..?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thrash911, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hellow..

Just got my 24" iMac today. I have been using it all day (obviously), and I am LOVING it..!! I am not posting any pictures of it, because a lot of people have done that already. :)

I had a .wmv file I wanted to play. I found flip4mac, and installed it. Worked just fine, and now I can play the .wmv file. BUT.. The icon of the .wmv file is just plane white paper.. That looks stupid, so how can I change that? I use QuickTime to play it, but I cant just use the icons from other media files, because they are unique to a file type (.avi files have "AVI" in the icon picture).

Is there ANY way of exporting icons, edit them, then reinsert them somehow? I have tried to figure this out, but haven't found a solution yet..

Anyone?

2. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Please. I know how to change icons on a single file. But how do you change icons that are tied to a file-type..?

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There should be a QuickTime icon for WMV. Try Get Info on one that has a generic icon. Go down to Open With: and pick WMV Player (green icon). then use the Change All… button to set them all that way.

You may need to restart the Finder to kick-start the icon changes.

4. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Damn! :)

That worked like a charm & no restart needed. Thanks a lot for that! ;)