Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
yesterday i got onto the online educational store and found some awesome prices on the new powerbooks.... starting at 1499 for the 12" with the 17" at like 2999...... quite a nice mark down.

then just now, i checked them again and they are a bit more "normal"... 1699 for 12" and 3149 for 17"..

likewise, ilife was listed at $39, keynote was $49, and final cut express was $149.... now they are $49, $79, and $249, respectively...

not sure what this means, but it's interesting, and a bit disappointing... though admittedly, i'll only be getting ilife and keynote out of those items...

just thought i'd share.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: change in educational prices

Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
yesterday i got onto the online educational store and found some awesome prices on the new powerbooks.... starting at 1499 for the 12" with the 17" at like 2999...... quite a nice mark down.

then just now, i checked them again and they are a bit more "normal"... 1699 for 12" and 3149 for 17"..

likewise, ilife was listed at $39, keynote was $49, and final cut express was $149.... now they are $49, $79, and $249, respectively...

not sure what this means, but it's interesting, and a bit disappointing... though admittedly, i'll only be getting ilife and keynote out of those items...

just thought i'd share.

Either someone simply screwed up which seems unlikely on so much product or they were running a one day only release sale.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
yeah.... i think a mistake is unlikely... then again, it was many products.... and it was educational stuff.... i mean, what school is going to be standing there on the release of the stuff and buy up....?

i think either they went back on their pricing decisions... or something else.

and it was also totally unannounced.... which works out in the long run, but i'd still figure they'd make it somewhat public knowledge....

anyhoo, a bit weird i think.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
yeah.... i think a mistake is unlikely... then again, it was many products.... and it was educational stuff.... i mean, what school is going to be standing there on the release of the stuff and buy up....?

i think either they went back on their pricing decisions... or something else.

and it was also totally unannounced.... which works out in the long run, but i'd still figure they'd make it somewhat public knowledge....

anyhoo, a bit weird i think.

Maybe there was some knowledge of it on the show floor. Education discounts online are typically for students. Schools I think in most cases will buy in large quantities and will contact Apple directly for support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.