Change Ip Address on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eliteneo, Feb 8, 2010.

1. macrumors member

How do I change my ip Address on my macbook pro running snowleopard?

2. macrumors regular

MagicMouse

You cant ever, the MacBook Pro's have a CRT4 chip

3. macrumors regular

lol, your IP address depends entirely on your network setup, it has nothing to do with your computer type or OS.

4. macrumors member

yup :)

turn off your laptop.

then press reset on your wireless router. Might wanna do this two or three times.

Turn on your laptop and clear your casche.

done.

5. macrumors member

Your IP address is determined by your ISP not by you. There are however ways to change it.

For example, if you are on a cable modem or DSL, you can simply turn off/turn on the modem and the ISP will probably reassign you a new IP address.

If you are on a static IP you would have to get in touch with your ISP.

6. macrumors regular

And whether that gives you a new IP depends entirely on your internet provider's network setup. If it's an always on connection like cable or dsl, it will often just give you the same one again if you just disconnected briefly.

7. macrumors regular

Inutopia

Did you ever think....

Perhaps the OP means his LAN ip rather than WAN?

If so, go to System Preferences > Network > Choose the network interface you want to change, and select DHCP with Manual Address or Manual to change your IP from the DHCP assigned value.

C. x

8. macrumors regular

contact your ISP or get a new ISP

9. macrumors newbie

Seriously!?!?! If you don't know the answer, then don't post. IP addresses are changing all the time. When you go to Starbucks you have an ip address, when you go home, it's different, when you are at the office, it's different.

You can change it every minute if you want to.

I think MagicMouse may have been thinking of the MAC Address, but that can be spoofed (changed) as well.

So, I'll say again... If you don't know the answer, please refrain from posting.

--
    Phillip H. Blanton
    Akanomi Softworks

10. macrumors 65816

You seem super smart...why did you dig up a 2 year old thread?

11. macrumors newbie

LOL! I didn't notice how old it was. My mom got a notice that another device on her network was using the same IP address as her Macbook Pro. I was googling for the terminal command to force the router to assign a new IP address to her machine (because I don't have that kind of minutiae memorized), and I saw this. I was flabbergasted by the stupid response and decided to post a clarification response. I never checked the age of the thread.

By the way, it is obviously still a relevant thread, as it is still coming up near the top of the search results for a duplicate IP address on a Mac.

In case anyone is interested in the answer...

- Click on the "Applications" folder.
    - Click on the "Utilities" folder.
    - Click on the "Terminal" application.
    - Type... "sudo ipconfig set en1 dhcp" in the terminal window.
    - Enter your system password.

The Mac will request a new IP address from the DHCP server and you will be golden.

--
    Phillip H. Blanton
    Akanomi Softworks

12. macrumors regular

Why not just check the router settings? My guess is that there's possibly a static IP setting in the router for two devices, though most routers are smart enough to not allow this. If it happened, I'm guessing one device was off when the other was set.

I have static IPs for all my regular devices (with a couple in my permitted range for visitors), and even a different address for when my MBP is wifi and when it's hardwired.

Good luck helping your mum.

13. macrumors newbie

I tried this and it didn't work. Still have the same IP and Terminal said this after I entered my pw:

ipconfig: set: method 'dhcp' unknown
    must be MANUAL, INFORM, BOOTP, DHCP, FAILOVER, or NONE

No idea what that means. :(

14. macrumors newbie