Change IP address

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applecrag, Aug 10, 2006.

1. applecrag macrumors regular

Hey guys I was just wondering if there is a way to change my IP address on my computer. Is it in the Network in the preferences? help would be great! thanks

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You need to tell us more about how your network is set up.

If you're on a DHCP network, then no, it's unlikely since the DHCP server will automatically resupply your MAC address with the same IP it's had. You can try and request a new DHCP lease via the Network prefpane, but most likely you'll end up with the same IP address and an extension on how long before it times out. Unless you can ask the network admin, there's no way to know (AFAIK) what the time out on the leased DHCP address is. 1 day, 3 days, 10 days, forever? Who knows?

If it's a static IP.. you should know about those already, no?

3. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's a PPPoE account. I know nothing of static IP addresses. I just wanted to change the IP that I have. Thanks.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I thought with PPPoE, you were supplied with a static IP address?
    For example, in your NEtwork prefpane, is it set to "Manual" or "Using DHCP"?

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

No. PPPoE assigns IP addresses by the server. Your IP address is reassigned each time your modem reconnects. There is a way to keep an IP, and that's to keep your router connected at all times. Anyways, it's fine.