change "reply to" address in OS X Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glitch44, Jul 26, 2006.

1. glitch44 macrumors 65816

before i start, i should tell everyone i don't actually have an apple computer. i'm just the person my friends usually come to for computer help.

a friend got a new digital camera. he wanted to email some photos home and at the time he had a pc, so i talked him through getting a gmail account, setting up picassa, and changing the "reply to" address to his work account so he doesn't have to check 2 accounts.

everything worked great until he got a mac. now he wants to use iphoto to do the same.

apparently, iphoto opens up os x mail as his default client, so i talked him through setting up pop access in gmail, then adding the gmail account to os x mail.

it sends fine, but now the "reply to" address is gmail, not his work email, which he would prefer.

does pop access in gmail override the "reply to" address set there?

how do i change the "reply to" address in OS X Mail?

any help would be great. i just don't have an apple i can try stuff on, so it's me googling for solutions...

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

When a new message is created in Mail, you can change the reply-to field manually.

On the left side of the message window, probably just left of the subject line, should be a box with 3 horizontal lines. If you click that you can choose to display the reply-to field. Then, enter any address you like. If it's one from the Address Book, it should auto-fill once you're typing.

As for setting the field permanently do be something different from the outgoing message, I'll have to take a deeper look in a bit, if no one else responds first.

Cheers

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

In Mail, Preferences, Accounts, just enter the desired reply to address in the email address. I believe that should do it assuming that his outgoing server will accept it. He may have to change his Outgoing Mail Server on the same screento match his desired send to account as well. Obviously, his main account is probably still setup correctly, but if not, you can have a look at that account too, and make it the default account.

Finally, under the advanced tab in the same account prefs box, uncheck "include when automatically checking for new mail" if he doesn't want to check both account.

He may also want to set the secondary account to simply foward any mail to his main account.