change root password on 4.3.3???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by galaxy80, May 31, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello, I really need some help! I jailbroke my g's Iphone 3gs with 4.3.3 and I'm fighting to change the root password. Mobile terminal doesnt work on 4.3.3. I installed open ssh and have tried cyberduck but can't figure out how to get a command prompt on it. Winscp gives me an error when I try the command ssh root@192.168.etc. It says failed with return code 225 and error message pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stain is not a terminal. Host key verification failed. I can't find any other info on wtf to do! Please help!!!!

Thanks!
    Garrette

2. macrumors 65816

use putty if on windows, otherwise just use terminal on *nix (including os x). ssh root@<yourip> default password is "alpine"

change it with bash command "passwd"

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ for putty download

If you haven't ssh'd to a device with that same ip you won't need to purge the RSA fingerprint but if you did, you do.

the moar you know.

p.s. there's nothing about this specific to 4.3.3

3. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

add the source

yourcydiarepo.org it has a working mobile terminal

4. macrumors 68020

awadeee

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I used Putty and it worked great! So now that it's jailbroken, what so y'all recommend I do with the phone? I've read several sites about what you can do after jailbreak, but I wanted to see what other people had to say. Honestly, I have an Android phone, so I'm more familiar with that than ios. My girlfriend isn't that tech savvy, which is why I'm the one who did the jailbreak lol. Thanks again!

6. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

Thanks seems to have worked.

So what apps did you go with on your JB

7. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

I am not able to get yourcydiarepo.org to work now, I had to restore and redo my JB and I wanted to download the mobile terminal program I had before

8. macrumors 604

labman

repo is likely temporarily down unless there is another source you will have to wait till it's back up.

9. macrumors 603

Guys, yourcydiarepo.org and cydia.xsellize.com has the same MobileTerminal (Allen Porter's MobileTerminal version 520-1). It works just fine under 4.3.3. Note that gestures are disabled by default. You will definitely want to enable them to mimic the „original” (and, now, defunct) MobileTerminal version 364-1 (author: the same Allen Porter) available in „traditional” Cydia repos (not the above two); e.g., up-swipe for the „Up” key to repeat the previous command etc.

That is, the major Cydia repos still haven't updated their now-incompatible MobileTerminal version to the new one. In the meantime, get it from either yourcydiarepo.org or cydia.xsellize.com.

10. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

Ok thanks, i was a little taken back when i tried to add cydia.xsellize.com as a source, cydia gave me a strange warning.

But i will give it a go.

11. macrumors 603

12. macrumors newbie

enygmagyrl

Great Tip, Thanks!

I had originally added xsellize as a source and got the 4.x v for the Terminal. For whatever reason, it didn't work so I uninstalled. I read your post and tried it again. This time it worked great! I think I was able to change my pw. I'm not completely sure because the last line before I closed it was "iPhone:~ root# " but according to the directions, I changed it! So, I'm hoping for the best. =)

Thanks again for the 411!

13. macrumors 68020

awadeee

xSellize are notorious for pirating paid Cydia apps, although there is some really useful (and legal) stuff on their repo. I was a little wary about posting their source but wasn't aware of anywhere else I could get a working MT for iOS4. I've had theirs for a good while and works flawlessly for me. I was hesitant to post their source but I think it should be assumed that I'm not here to pirate since I'm an active contributing member. :)