Change the Icon!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by iEric, Nov 5, 2003.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

In the Finder, on the Side...It shows a picture of a iMac but I have a Powermac..How can I change that picture.

2. BigHairyBuds macrumors member

try asking apple to add some useful functionality to os x...in xp this is no problem. in os x i need to buy a stupid app called candy bar, or edit my system files manually...

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Can you put custom icons on any of your folders or documents?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You can on folders and shortcuts in WinXP, it very easy.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That's good. I didn't think you could in XP.

6. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

Psh, I'm not paying 13 bucks. LOL...

BTW, does Panther allow the Superdrives to burn +DVDs now?

7. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

These are the people that annoy me these days to no end. Because it's not immediatly obvious how to change an icon for the one entity that doesn't have a physical 'file' to point to, the whole OS is somehow invalidated.

You say nothing of more serious problems in XP, such as not being able to resume a large copy when a single file fails, or there's a '?' in the filename. Or how you can have a "picture.jpg" and a "picture.gif" in the same folder and, by default, not be able to tell them apart. Or how I have to "buy a stupid app" just to show a list of folders with that folder's size, so I know which one takes up the most disk space without getting Props on every one. Or how a 2 year old OS won't be updated for 3 more years. Or how there's no way to have spell-checking when replying to some post about why you think OSX sucks. Or why sometimes I have to edit a registry to fix or remove problems.

Go away.

8. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

A search of MacOSXHints.com:

"After some digging, I discovered that the imac.icns is in a new place: /System -> Library -> CoreServices -> SystemIcons.bundle -> Contents -> Resources -> iMac.icns ... you need to swap that icon to change the Computer icon in the Finder window toolbar"

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

10. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

no prob - let everyone know if it works, since it's a 10.2 tip, and I have the My Computer thing turned off. :)

11. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Easy, first click on the file with the icon you want to copy, go to File>Get Info (Apple-I on the keyboard), click on the icon in the get info box and copy it into the clipboard. Then get info on the file you want to copy the icon to and click on its icon and paste. Sadly its not so simple for system icons like on the toolbars, dock, and such. For that you either do some digging or get candy bar.

12. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

iEric,

If all you want to do is change that icon, download the free candy bar demo, change it and then uninstall candy bar.

If you're not looking to change icons left and right on a daily basis...it's ok.

macboyX

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Thanks but I was asking about XP. I'm quite knowledgeable with all versions of the Mac OS but only really know Win95/98 on the PC.