Change the resolution on PB 15"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by G4Grover, Jun 22, 2004.

1. G4Grover macrumors member

Just got a PB 15" 1.3 and I want to change the resolution to something a little smaller. I typically run my PC laptop at 1400 x 1050 and this is a 14" screen. I'd like to get at least that small on the 15.

Possible? It doesn't appear so in OSX. :(

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

The "smallest" (i.e. highest) resolution your powerbook will get is 1280 by whatever. (I can't remember the exact numbers now)

Also, that is the best resolution that it should be at... LCDs have a "native" resolution, which is by far the clearest. For more screen real-estate, you'd need a 17" powerbook.

Lee Tom

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Resolution of 15" pb is 1280x854. So you can't go smaller than that, unless there exists a hack for this.

cheers

4. mccaffreye macrumors newbie

Screen resolution is pathetic on Apple displays, especially their laptops.

My PC laptop has a resolution of 1680x1050; and I had the option of 1900x1200 but I had to cut back on some things.

I hope screen resolution improves when I actually have enough money for a Mac.

I would expect what I have to be minimum for a 12 inch screen, it would greatly increase usability on a small screen.

5. G4Grover thread starter macrumors member

I run that on my 15" Dell... still hoping someone chimes in with hack.

The 17" is only margainly better as far as the resolution (1440x900).

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Can you even read anything on that screen? :eek:

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've got a 1900x1200 Dell through work, and I've been using it for over a year now.

It is an amazingly clear screen. It works beautifully. I continue to be amazed at how poor iBook and PowerBook resolutions remain, especially given that this laptop of mine is, oh, 15 months old or so. The screens are out there to use. I don't know if Apple got shut out by deals between, say Dell and the screen makers. But the screen resolutions on Apple's laptops really need to improve. Along with disk speeds, etc.

<rant>I desperately want to be able to buy a PowerBook that will create envy amongst my peers. Right now, OS X creates some jealousy, but the laptop technology is not leading edge anymore.</rant>

Anyway, I don't see how a hack could help with the resolution - there's a certain number of pixels, and trying to imitate anything greater is just going to make it all blurrier/pixelated/etc.

8. G4Grover thread starter macrumors member

Ahh... good point...I guess I didn't really think about the fact it's a physical issue, not driver issue...LCD's only have a certain amount of pixels... :(

Oh well, it's not such a pain that it's unbearable, however just really evident going between a PC and Mac.

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

The only hack is ripping off the LCD panel. As someone said before, LCD's have a native resolution and there's not much you can do about it. You get what you get until you buy an external LCD.

BEN