Change Time Machine Network Location

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.7 Lion' started by Teyla, Dec 17, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

Here is my situation:

I normally back up my iMac over my local house LAN to a Mac Pro that has 4TB of raided storage. I am currently on vacation for 2 weeks and before I left I set up my Mac Pro to have an outside IP Address that I can connect to anywhere.

My question is: How can I set my iMac's time machine to continue to back up to the Mac Pro's Backup Disk. I can connect to the Mac pro via Go>Connect To Server... and mount my backup disk. I tried to edit the file "com.apple.TimeMachine.plist" with the new network location to no avail. (I of course made 2 backups of the original .plist file before editing).

Any help or insight would be most appreciated

2. phyrexia, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

macrumors 6502a

To clarify: You brought the iMac with you and are trying to back it up to the Mac Pro at home over the internet, correct?

One way I can think of to perform this task is to set up a VPN and connect to the VPN using your iMac. I think this would be the most straightforward method but I may be wrong.

3. macrumors newbie

Yup that is it.

I read awhile ago that it is possible to change the network location (IP Address) of the Location of your backup by editing the .plist file. However when I do this, it fails to find the drive.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors member

StevenMeyer

This was a odd and unsafe way to go about doing this. next time just use port forwarding. I can help you if you need it.

6. macrumors 6502a

FWIW I am interested in this problem. What is your solution? Forward the outgoing port on the laptop to the public IP?