Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duncan Findlay

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
com.apple.backupd-auto.plist

In response to the Nov 1, 2007 06:14 PM response

I have a mac 10.6.8. with an external HD 250gb

When I bring up com.apple.backupd-auto.plist and change the 3600 to a higher number, it asks me to go to Get Info. I changed the permissions to "read and write" and closed the lock. But it still says I cannot save it with any changes because I have not got the right permission. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Duncan

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You can download software: Time Machine Editor or Time Machine Scheduler to change the interval.

Or simply type the Terminal commands found in this article:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/02/change-the-time-machine-backup-schedule/

If you want to use a Text editor to edit system files, which you don't normally have access to, then my advice is to use TextWrangler, which simply asks you for your authorisation and handles everything. So you don't need to worry about changing and restoring permissions.

That having been said, My experience with Time Machine and Spotlight is that unnecessarily tinkering with them always seems to cause problems: the best way to ensure that they work properly is to leave them alone and let them get on with it!

There is little point to changing the interval. If you haven't changed any files in the last hour, then no files will be copied over. You're not really saving much space by reducing the frequency of backups. And on a modern machine, the "performance penalty" of running TM is minimal.

Duncan Findlay

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
Time Machine backup frequency

You can download software: Time Machine Editor or Time Machine Scheduler to change the interval.

Or simply type the Terminal commands found in this article:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/02/change-the-time-machine-backup-schedule/

If you want to use a Text editor to edit system files, which you don't normally have access to, then my advice is to use TextWrangler, which simply asks you for your authorisation and handles everything. So you don't need to worry about changing and restoring permissions.

That having been said, My experience with Time Machine and Spotlight is that unnecessarily tinkering with them always seems to cause problems: the best way to ensure that they work properly is to leave them alone and let them get on with it!

There is little point to changing the interval. If you haven't changed any files in the last hour, then no files will be copied over. You're not really saving much space by reducing the frequency of backups. And on a modern machine, the "performance penalty" of running TM is minimal.

--------

Because, from time to time the Time Machine says it is full and cannot continue the backup, I have tended to empty the latest downloads to Trash which takes a lot of time. I realize that Time Machine says the oldest backups are deleted when the backup HD is full, however that does not always happen.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Because, from time to time the Time Machine says it is full and cannot continue the backup, I have tended to empty the latest downloads to Trash which takes a lot of time. I realize that Time Machine says the oldest backups are deleted when the backup HD is full, however that does not always happen.
Not quite sure how changing the backup frequency helps here. It may alleviate your other problem, but it's not actually benefiting you.
As I've said, once you start tinkering with TM, that's usually when the trouble starts. Manually deleting snapshots is going to cause you trouble.

You can however delete all instances of a file from within the TM app, by right-clicking on a file.

... and surely, you don't want to delete the LATEST snapshots? Do you mean the earliest ones?

Duncan Findlay

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
Time Machine backup frequency

Not quite sure how changing the backup frequency helps here. It may alleviate your other problem, but it's not actually benefiting you.
As I've said, once you start tinkering with TM, that's usually when the trouble starts. Manually deleting snapshots is going to cause you trouble.

You can however delete all instances of a file from within the TM app, by right-clicking on a file.

... and surely, you don't want to delete the LATEST snapshots? Do you mean the earliest ones?

I will take your advice and not try to tinker with Time Machine's backup frequency.

Yes, I meant to refer to the "earliest" snapshots in the Time Machine directory.

You mentioned to right-click on a file within Time Machine. Using a Mac, I cannot right-click. Does Mac do it another way?

Thanks,

Duncan

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You mentioned to right-click on a file within Time Machine. Using a Mac, I cannot right-click. Does Mac do it another way?
What's your input device? Any mouse with a right-hand button will activate Contextual menus in OS X. This should work on the Magic Mouse and the Mighty Mouse, too. Right-clicks can also be done on a trackpad with gestures.
Alternatively, <ctrl> click emulates a right-click.

Can I ask how you were deleting you TM snapshots? The Finder doesn't let you, if I remember. There's a real chance you've hosed your backup if you've just deleted some folders in the Terminal.
I would either delete the entire thing and start again; or archive that data and wipe the drive; or get a new drive and keep the old drive in storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.