Changed icon resets when Skype is launched..?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aaagat111, Dec 19, 2005.

1. aaagat111 macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I recently made some icons in photoshop. I applied them to all the corresponding apps using candybar and everything worked perfectly except Skype.

Skype would not launch. So i re-dowloaded the app, and changed the icon by get-info and then pasting the .icns file there. This worked, but then when the app launched the icon changed back to the green S, instead of my custom icon.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening, or what i can do to get my icon to work here.
  2. dontpanic macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2004
    i'm having this same sort of problem but with adium

i changed its icons in candybar but when i launch it goes back to the duck

i don't want the duck, i hate the duck

can anyone help?
  3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    Adium can be changed by downloading new icon sets from

The problem comes from the fact that adium, and I assume skype, have different dock icons for different events. For example, the start-up, idle, away, etc in adium. Each icon is hard-coded into the app itself, and when you change the icon you're only changing the one icon, but the rest are all hard-coded into the app.

Hope that helps.
  4. dontpanic macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2004
  5. dontpanic macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2004
  6. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    if you're talking about adium, then use if you have a custom icon for it, package it up for adium as an extra dock icon. problem solved.

if you're talking Skype, you have to be very careful with the icon created, i'm not sure if it's even possible, as it checks the integrity of its files on launch - if there's an inconsistency then it craps out.

if you want your icon to work with it it will have to have portions of the file (if not the whole thing for an MD5 type check) the same, meaning you're going to be stuck unless you're using the regular icon.
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The application includes a live dock icon which can display its status at any time, so it's not really possible to substitute it. You'll find several applications like that.

By the way, shouldn't you have a blue S for Skype or are you using an older version?
  8. dontpanic macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2004
    so if i do this it won't change back when i run it?

edit - someone had already uploaded the icon set i wanted to use

thanks for the help :D