Changed my Home folder--things are missing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i-sidd, Jan 23, 2007.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I I don't know if I will be able to explain this to you. But let me try. On the finders window, I guess that whats it called, I wanted to chnage the name of the HOME folder the one with the picture of a house, I right cliked it and chnaged the name and it was fine. But when I started my MB again everything in the desktop that I had saved is gone.

I went to the Hard drive on the finders window and under users there are three folders.
    1. Sims with the house icon and then there is a shared folder and then there is a Sid folder. When I clicked on the Sid folder it had everything in it. But when I am now in the Sims folder there is nothing in there in term of whatever was on the desktop.Also when I am in the Sims folder and try to clik on documents,pictures or movies it says the volume cannot be found.
    Also when ever I had saved as a bookmark on safari is gone. How can I get back to the old settings.

What have I done. Please I need some help urgently.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also, if you really need assistance urgently, a descriptive subject heading is not only very useful to you but helpful to the members who provide it.

4. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

mkrishnan, you are a life saver. I will never do that again. I copied everything to the shared folder and created a new account. Since the new account information was already ina folder it asked me that if I wanted to use that and I cliked ok. I restored everything,except for the documents I had on my desktop, I copied it from the shared folder and now evrything Safari, itunes, iphoto evrything is back.

Thanks a bunch.

I was in a lt of stress I did not pay attention to the Subject, I apologize.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not to worry, I wasn't picking on you. Glad you solved your problem. ;)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan