Changeing icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by icesac26, Apr 11, 2006.

1. icesac26 macrumors member

icesac26

Hey I would like to personalize my mac even more. How do I change the icons for my HD's and folders, i cant seem to get it to work. if you can think of other cool stuff let me know to and how to do it

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's crap. Actually, it works pretty well, but it's crap that they charge you for a program to change icons when you can manually change them very easily and for free.

Copy the new icon (command + c).
    Select the folder, app, or whatever and press command + i to get info.
    Click on the icon in the top left corner of the get info window.
    Paste (command + v) the new icon.
    Done.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

True, but it can change things you can't change easily, like your Trash icon. It can also change system-wide defaults for all folders, rather than having to do it manually.

Yes, you can do a good portion of what it does by yourself, but it does have some value.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It only takes about 3 minutes. That even includes the time it takes to google how to do it.

This may be the only feature I find worth paying for, but $13 is way too expensive for this.

Some, but very little.

6. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

Surely iContainers save the user some time as opposed to modifying each one by one.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The only way I'm aware of doing this involves digging into Dock.app and modifying the files in there. While you and I might be comfortable doing that, there are a lot of people out there who aren't. Like you, I wouldn't buy CandyBar, as I am fairly comfortable digging into my system if I have the need or desire. But for many people, letting an app do the dirty work is much preferred, even if it costs a few bucks.

8. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

I wondered if Leopard will let you choose which folder-looks you like (and icons too). This will be really cool! (Hope Apple is reading this!)

Same as themes too. or *gasp* customize the drop shadow setting! lol :D

Just an idea...

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'd like the able to customize the shadow too. The left side of the menu bar's shadow has always seemed darker to me and therefore makes it look a little slanted.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'd recommend the best of both worlds - download the trial of CandyBar. It allows you to make a number of changes for free, so I'd use it to change all of those "harder" icons to change (Trash Can, etc.), then make the other changes manually. ;) :cool:

11. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yes, but it is way easier than one might think.
    http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/articles/dock_10-3-x.php

You are right. But most of those people are capable of manually changing it, they are just to afraid to try.

Agreed. If this wasn't true, then the app would be free because no one would purchase it. But suggesting CandyBar with out giving any other options is not the solution. Place all options in front of a user and let them chose which one is best for them.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In general, I agree. But the OP appeared to be a newbie, and I am hesitant to even suggest to people who might not know what they're doing that they should be using sudo or even changing system-level permissions through the GUI. Sometimes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing...