Changes in Longhorn from previous versions

Discussion in 'Community' started by wrldwzrd89, Jun 26, 2004.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Here's the change list I'd like to see for Longhorn:
    -Security architecture rewritten from the ground up - eliminates all existing exploits and reduces the occurrence of new ones.
    -Entirely new command line - all vestiges of DOS gone, including drive letters. Volumes now use names, just like the Mac OS does.
    -Redesign of Windows Update so that it doesn't require IE - instead it takes the form of an internet-enabled application, like Apple's Software Update.
    -Major improvements to IE on standards support - "leapfrog" all other browsers by supporting CSS1, 2, 3, XHTML, XPath, XSLT, XPointer, PNG (including transparency), SVG, and XForms (which few browsers support at this time).
    -Improved privacy options in IE. "Smart" popup-blocker (blocks only unrequested popups), image filter, embedded content filter (for Flash and similar content) - all built-in.
    -System requirements list PowerPC-based computers too (unlikely)

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I don't see this happen. All Windows users would be completely clueless... ;)

Why do you want this? Could you please explain this to me?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Anything to increase security can only be a good thing.
    What would be the point of this? I like CMD just how it is.
    Again, why change something that works so well?
    Agreed, though I use Firefox all the time anyway, and until IE gets tabs, I'll never use it.
    SP2 for WinXP will include a smart popup blocker. Not sure about the rest of it.
    Don't understand this, why??

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm didn't microsoft already showed pictures of their new command line ...? (more unix like)
    hint: a search for "microsoft monad shell" reveals a few nice things

5. plus_c macrumors member

I actually like the drive letters and such. Maybe it's a result of having used Windows since WFW 3.11 and DOS 6.22, but the drive letters make sense to me. The drive letters bring familiarity and standardization to keyboard shortcuts, which make my life so much easier.

I'll agree on most of the rest though - IE needs to become standards-compliant...not sure how likely that is though.

And just out of curiosity...why exactly would you want to run Windows natively on a PPC processor? That would be like ruining a perfectly good Mac...

6. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Erm. Everything you said on that list is already in Longhorn (well, nearly everything).

There are no drive letters, and the new command shell is called MSH (i think). IE has popup blocker,etc. Windows Update doesn't have to require IE, there's the windows update tool which does the updates automatically in v5. Don't know about security framework, but I think that it is going to be pretty secure (no, honestly ;)).

I know you can enable the drive letters again easily, just they are hidden by default (like file extensions).

For those who haven't at least tried Longhorn I don't think they can comment on it. They say it's like OS X but it's going in a totally different direction. But Jeez, you need a DirectX 9 Gfx card for it's version of Quartz Extreme (as in GeforceFX, Radeon 9700+).

Longhorn is in no way a copy of mac os x, just go try it out if you can.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Security sounds good. Maybe, they'll make Longhorn less zombie-capable.

For those of you who don't know, there are a number of PPC machines that are not Macs. They're running Linux mostly and even IBM's OS/2 for PPC. There was also a port of WinNT 4 for PPC. Perhaps, it is necessary to finally get those people away from all of that?

Besides, would you want your xbox console development to happen on a Macintosh, if you were MS?

8. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Haven't you heard? MS is apparently getting tired of Intel (that's why rumor has it that the XBox2 will be PPC-based), so they're considering the PowerPC platform for things they wouldn't otherwise consider it for. That's why I brought it up. IMO, drive letters made sense for DOS, but come across as archaic in a GUI like Windows. That's why they need to go.

9. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Judging by reports I've heard about XBox2, that's EXACTLY what MS wants to happen - they can't use Longhorn because it isn't ready, so they'll settle for Mac OS X, the next best thing.

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Considering that my Xbox has been one problem after another, I was considering not getting the next version and just stick with PS3 and whatever Nintendo system comes out, but if the Xbox 2/Next comes out with an Apple logo somewhere on the box and/or case, I'll have to grab one as soon as I can get my hands on it.

11. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Have you ever repartitioned your first drive then had to change / reinstall 90% of your software, because all of it's configuration links that were pointing at d:\ now need to point at e:\, and all the stuff that's hardcoded to access the CDROM at e:\ now has to be changed to f:\

Then you remap your network drives and find those two programs that don't take UNC paths, so you have to take an hour to go through them to change them.

Then you have to troubleshoot why somebody's excel macros aren't working,and it turns out they mapped the common drive to v: instead of w: like they were supposed to, because the previous programmer had hardcoded paths...

Drive letters are the bane of my existence, and a hack that should be banished to that great bit bucket in the sky. The sooner the better.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is a good point...I fell in love with this kind of addressing ever since NFS/AFS... :) But OTOH, its better for a lot of users in a well-thought-out GUI but in a work-in-process one.... :( Specifically, I don't have any problem with unix-style addressing on my Mac but its a royal pain in Linux to keep trying to figure out whether this program needs you to call your DVD player /mnt/cdrom or /dev/hdc and why that program choses the opposite of this one.... And then actually getting the DVD to play....

But Windows ought not have such issues, and Mac doesn't. So if NTFS went to a unix-style system I think it would work great. Maybe there could even be something better that is specifically designed to keep the file reference as a URL, and still make it easy to reference devices without making the typical Windows user figure out /dev/hdc and /mnt... type stuff. I think the URL is pretty much the way of the moment so it should be compatible with that. Also consistent with MS' direction of making Windows exploration a browser-like affair.

13. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Microsoft should do what they do best - copy Apple! Apple did drive addressing correctly, unlike Windows (Linux is better, but hasn't perfected it the same way the Mac OS has). I've always thought Microsoft would use this approach when making Longhorn ever since it was announced; it looks like my prediction is coming true, piece by piece.