Changing a file's icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mduser63, Aug 4, 2005.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've created an icon from scratch with Icon Composer and saved it (as a .icns file). However, I can't figure out how to change a file's icon so that it has the icon I just created it. The copy/paste method described in Mac help doesn't work, as it copies the .icns file's icon, instead of the icon itself. The .icns file's icon is a standard preview document icon, with the letters "icns" at the bottom. If it matters, the file I'm trying to use this icon with is an AppleScript application that I wrote and want to put in my dock. Does anyone know how to do this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you open it in Preview, copy it, and then paste it as normal into the AppleScript's icon space? :)

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Get Info on both of them. Click on the icon you want to copy over. It will get a blue outline. Copy (Cmd+C) it. Click on the to-be-replaced icon. Paste it.

To get original back: Click on the icon in the Get Info window and press delete.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But that's only copying the Preview icon apparently. :confused:

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hee, funny, I didn't know how to get the original icon back-- a really simple and logical solution now that I see it. Then again, I've never tried to get the original icons back... haha. Thanks, mechozmo!

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

:confused: :rolleyes:

7. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Well, I figured out how to do it in a really roundabout way. AppleScript applications aren't like regular apps, as they're not directories, they are in fact files. Otherwise I could have copied the icon into the Resources folder of the application. The way I solved the problem is by copying the icon into the resource folder of another application, which changed that application's icon to the one I created. I then used the copy/paste method to change the icon of the AppleScript. Finally I switched the icon of the first application back to what it was originally. Sort of a complicated way to do it, but it worked fine.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.