Changing Adminstrator Names in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by macstudent, Apr 23, 2002.

1. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

Hi, I am helping my sister set up her new powermac, but I am not that familiar with os X...yet.

Anyway, how do rename the administrators name? She put her name as the name, but her fiance wants both of their names as the administrator.

I telling them how to do this over the phone, so I don't have a mac with os X in front of me.

Thanks for your help!

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Open system prefs
    Click on Users
    Select username from list
    Click Edit User button
    Type in new names
    Click OK

3. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

thanks, that is what I thought it would be like.

Actually, she called me and said she figured it out herself anyway.

Damn, I am glad she got a mac. I won't have to do anything for her anymore:) hehehe

4. sjs macrumors 6502

Last fall I created a new user profile, made it the administrator, and deleted the user profile that had originally been the administrator.

AppleCare said I had been a very bad boy. Do not repeat this process.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, I did that same thing and I've been getting permission problems ever since... so I keep a copy of X-Ray in my Apps folder at all times. Fortunately, most of the permission problems have died down since I've fixed most of them when they come up, but MAN what a hassle. You'd think we'd be able to do something as SIMPLE as rename our username... but nooooo... :rolleyes:

6. sjs macrumors 6502

What is "X-ray" and will it help me with permission problems?
    Thanks.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It's a great program that allows you to modify the permissions for files and directories, and a lot of other great stuff:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12103&db=mac

No prob. :)

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I did the same exact thing. All my permissions were out of whack until I enabled the root account, changed my permissions and logged out. I figured I might as well enable root since A)I am on dial-up so security isn't a big issue B)I'm smart enough not to delete mach_kernel.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hey, how do you do that? I still have lingering permission problems every once in awhile and I'd like to get rid of them once and for all without having to use XRay all the time. I have the root account enabled already, so how do I go about changing the permissions to ALL files and directories to allow my admin account to r, w, and x? Thanks!

10. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

do a man

look at the man pages for the commands

chmod and chown

you will see how to do it. You can do it recusively so all subfolders and files will be changed as well.

# man chmod

im not sure if xray will let you do it rersively or no.. i just use the terminal

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well see that's the thing... XRay DOES let you set recursive permissions... but it doesn't always work, that's the problem.

Thanks evildead, I'll play with that when I get home.