Changing around home folder: Is this a wise idea?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by BoneyardBoy, Jun 18, 2004.

1. BoneyardBoy macrumors member

Hi every1. I'm just thinking of re-organizing everything on my Mac... it's such a mess! So I thought I'd take advantage of using the home folder a bit more to organize everything. So I've created some of my own folders in it, but some of the default folders like Sites, Public and Movies aren't being used and just sitting there. So I was wondering if it's ok to just get rid of them? I know I should keep the Library and Desktop folders, but is it safe to get rid of the other ones that arent as important?

Cheers :) Ste

2. parenthesis macrumors member

As far as I know, you can delete the Movies, Pictures, Documents, Sites, and Public folders with no problems. Nothing "needs" those folders to function.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

iTunes will get confused if the Music folder's deleted; if you don't use iMovie or iDVD, the Movies folder can go; if you don't use iPhoto, the Pictures folder can be safely deleted; the primary purpose of the Public folder is for sharing files (both with other users of the computer and people logging in from remote computers) - if you don't do this, you can get rid of Public. The Sites folder is required for the Personal Web Sharing feature - if you don't use this, then it, too, can be deleted. Desktop and Library are important and musr be kept. I've made some custom folders in my home directory, too - but I made sure that they had the same permissions on them as the standard folders, so they behave the way I expect them to when other users attempt to access them (with the default permissions, they'll be readable but not writable to everyone).

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

heh heh. :D i'd like to see someone delete their Desktop folder... :D :p

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't have to delete anything. Most of your files are documents of some soft. You can create as many folders as you like within Documents. You can store all of your photographs inside Pictures. So long as you don't place them in the iTunes Library, iTunes won't see them. Your Applications folder already has a Utilities folder. You might add folders for games, image editors, word processors, whatever you like.