Changing bitrates from 256 to 128???

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Cloudgazer, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Hi

I got a lot of mp3s on disc that i want to import into iTunes.

However most of the music is encoded at 256 (bitrate) However this makes the files quite large.
    Is there any way to lower the bitrate when importing/copying the music into iTunes?
    Or will it do it automatically?

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes. :)

Under iTunes go to iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>Importing and click on Setting/Custom, this opens up a box of options, click on Custom again and then you can change the bitrate.

3. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Sorry if i sound stupid - So iTunes will re-encode the mp3s to the correct bitrate automatically?
    Not just copy the file from disc to library?

Also: is 128kb all right, or would I be better off encoding it at a higher bitrate? eg: 160

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

It will import the songs off of the CD to the library at the selected bitrate as far as I know. Maybe you should just try to import one song and make sure that works and then do the other ones. :eek:

5. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Nope, that doesn't seem to work.
    I set iTunes to import using AAC (128kb) - but when I either drag the mp3 into iTunes or use the import (file>import) it remains in mp3 format at 256kb.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that what I told you only works when ripping from a CD- or is this what you are trying to do? Sorry, it looks like my advice was of no good. :eek:

Perhaps someone far wiser will come along and offer you the solution Cloudgazer. :)

7. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    After you change it to encode to AAC or whatever format you want to convert to, select (highlight) all the songs you wish to convert in the library, right click, or ctl click on said highlighted songs, then select "convert to".

That ought to do it. Be prepared to wait a while depending on library size. If you don't have a ton of stuff, you'd be better off just re-ripping them new.

BTW...I think 160AAC is fine, there are some people who won't rip less than 256 or Apple Lossless. I personally can't tell much of a difference.

8. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Ah, exellent stuff - thank you Hytower.
    I think I'll convert the stuff to 160 AAC.
    256 was just too much - the file sizes were waay too big.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just a warning. your music will be even more lossy once you convert them.
    because you're taking an already compressed format and compressing it more.

i'd attempt a few tracks and see what you think of the sound first before doing this to your whole library.

10. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    Yes, good advice, that's why i mentioned to just re-rip all your stuff if you don't have a ton of cd's already on there.

11. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Oh, don't worry i wont do my whole library.
    There were a couple of dozen mp3s i had on CDs - that i haven't listened to since i got my Mac.
    But thanks for the heads up - will definately do a sound comparison.

12. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i just converted my entire library to 160 AAC. it was after giving it much thought and testing it out on various types of my mp3s. i was happy with the result, and AS a result, i saved myself nearly 20GB of space. my iPod is happy :)