Changing built-in shortcut keys

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Blackheart, May 2, 2004.

1. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    Long story short, when I use exposé (Application windows) I want to be able to switch between apps with the "command-[" and "command-]" combinations instead of the "tab" and "tilde" keys. Does anyone know how I can go about doing this?

2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    Not off the top of my head. It's not a feature that Apple has made easy to customize. My suggestion would be to search MacUpdate or VersionTracker and see if there is a hack that is specifically designed to work with the application switcher.

Also, I've never messed around with key-mapping, but there might be a way to remap the bracket keys to Tab and tilde, but this would apply globally and might cause you trouble in other apps when you need to type a bracket or something. And I don't even know how you remap keys. As far as I know that, too, would require a third-party app.
  3. Albone macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2003
    System Prefs->Keyboard and mouse->Keyboard Shortcuts.

Its fairly intutitive from there. You can turn off shortcuts, make your own (I mad a command-shift-T my Secure Empty Trash shortcut) or restore defaults.
  4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge

Yes, but I don't think application switching is available as a command. It has to be a command in a menu, doesn't it?
  5. mws macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2004
    But it seems like only the shortcuts that are listed there can be turned off? There is one (Command H) that is interfering with a shortcut that I'm used to in Word (from OS9), and I can't assign Command H in Word through the keyboard and mouse prefs or through Word.

(In OS9, command H in Microsoft Word brought up the Replace dialog box. Since I'm an editor, I use this command VERY often. However, now Command H is a systemwide keyboard shortcut for Hide, and Command Shift H is the Word shortcut for Replace. Every time I go to search for text, I use the wrong shortcut once, twice, three times, even though I've had OSX for a while! Grrr.)

Has anyone been able to reassign/change system shortcuts that are not listed in System Prefs > Keyboard and Mouse Prefs > Keyboard Shortcuts?