Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It seems like there are a lot of problems with categories. For example, "Apple CEOs" is a top-level category. Surely no one agrees it should be on par with "Apple Laptops," for example. Really, it should probably be a subcategory under "Companies."

But Apple CEOs aren't Companies, so "Companies" should probably be changed to something like "Corporate Information."

The question --

If I change the names of these categories, do I have to change all the pages that refer to them? I don't want to rush in and make a massive change if it's going to be a pain to change later. Does that make sense?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
wordmunger said:
If I change the names of these categories, do I have to change all the pages that refer to them?
The short answer? Yes.
I don't want to rush in and make a massive change if it's going to be a pain to change later. Does that make sense?
It does make sense. At some point we can start leaning on bots when the number of changes for this kind of thing gets too big to manage by hand, but then again mass category changes can start to make the server groan when there is a larger amount of stuff (not a worry right now since we still have a baby wiki). Taking some time to choose well early on is worth the trouble.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
part of the problem is that the front page displays ALL categories... not just top level ones.

Let me see if I can fix that. That may make it easier to visualize.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Ok,

The front page now only displays TOP LEVEL categories.

arn

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
?

Did I read this right?

I'd be extremely interested in learning how hierarchical categorization was implemented on a MediaWiki.

In my experience, every category on a MediaWiki is a "Top Level" category.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
kalisphoenix said:
?

Did I read this right?

I'd be extremely interested in learning how hierarchical categorization was implemented on a MediaWiki.

In my experience, every category on a MediaWiki is a "Top Level" category.

Well, a category can be placed into another category.

On the front page, I'm simply listing categories that don't have a parent. Those are "top level". Everything else is a subcategory. The front page is NOT a wiki page. It's a php script that looks like a wiki page.

arn

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
arn said:
Well, a category can be placed into another category.

On the front page, I'm simply listing categories that don't have a parent. Those are "top level". Everything else is a subcategory. The front page is NOT a wiki page. It's a php script that looks like a wiki page.

arn

Ah 8) Thanks for explaining that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.