changing dashboard dock icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by biohazard6969, Nov 28, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

how can i change the icon of dashboard in the dock, i change it for dashboard in the applications folder, drag it out of the dock then back in but it still stays the same

2. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

This little app. called candy bar lets you customize this. It's free to try. You can safely change any icon you want with this app.

candybar

3. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Ya'll actually keep the Dashboard icon in the dock?!? :)

4. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

That was the first thing I removed from the dock when I first booted 10.4 - it's useless!

5. kanaka macrumors member

I believe the icon for dashboard is actually kept inside the Dock's application bundle. Instead of changing the icon for the Dashboard app in the Applications folder, you'll need to do this:

1. In the Finder, select "Go to Folder..." from the Go menu and enter this line:
      /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/
    2. In that folder, find dashboard.png and make a backup. The easiest way to do this is to drag it to your desktop.
    3. Replace dashboard.png with your replacement icon. If you drag your new icon into the folder, you should be asked to authenticate.
    4. In /Library/Caches/, remove the file named com.apple.dock.iconcache.501 (or move/rename it). You might have a different number than 501 for your user.
    5. Restart the Dock. To do this, open Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities), select the Dock, and click Quit.
    That should do it, hope this helps!

6. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Aye. That's the 'proper' was of doing it. Candy Bar is a GUI'd front for such a process. Can you change individual icons with Candy Bar anyway?

7. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I think you can change any icon with candy bar individual or groups and even system icons.

I only tried the trial version back in the day and I can't remember exactly. But I think you can change any icon with candy bar by that I mean individual/groups or even system icons.

8. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Yeh, I last used it 'back in the day'!
    I seem to remember it change icons system-wide only... I don't know!

EDIT: Just had a look at panic.com and it appears as though you can just change individual icons!

[​IMG]