Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
How do you change the default application that opens a specific file type?

For example, I want to open .doc files with OpenOffice instead of TextEdit.

Thanks.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
or.. right click get info under open with change it and than select chane all so that every .doc opens in text edit.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
but know that if you fx choose that one app should open all files of one type and then edit og make a file of that format in another app then the second (non-standard) app will open that file! ...or at least until you do a change for all files again...

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
mad jew said:
I'm not sure I understand that. :eek:

hehe... I've never been that good at explaining my self or writing in english... :)

what I mean is if fx. you are working with pictures and does the "change all"-thing but then open a pic in another app and makes some changes and saves them - then the next time you open that pic it will open in the app you used to edit it last...!

hope it's understandable this time around... :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Not to worry mate, I was just struggling with fx, but it means for example, right? :)

Most apps should ask you before changing the opening preference of a file type. Of course, if you open a JPG in Photoshop, edit it, and then save it as a PSD file, it'll open in Photoshop next time you double click on it. This is because the file type has changed though and PSD was most likely always associated with Photoshop.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
yeah thought that was like an international abbreviation... :D

I've opened the same jpg in fireworks and then in photoshop and saved my editing in both apps and next time I doubble clicked the file (after the editing) it opened in the app that last saved the file... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.