Changing EXIF dates/times on multiple photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by killmoms, May 22, 2006.

1. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Okay, so I've got a whole roll of photos in iPhoto from my girlfriend's camera from spring break. Unfortunately, her camera's internal clock was set wrong. Like, a year and one month wrong. And the time was wrong too. So I've got a whole roll of 123 pictures that have incorrect dates and times.

FORTUNATELY, I've got a roll with correct dates and times from another friend who was on break with us, and he took a picture of two of my friends that's almost the same as one my girlfriend took (i.e. they both took a picture almost at the same time). So I've got a photo that gives me a pretty good idea of the "offset" between the incorrect dates/times and the correct ones.

My question is: is there a utility out there that will allow me to batch "add" a certain amount of time to the EXIF data for date/time taken in every single photo that's wrong? The photos span a period of one week, so it'd be convenient to just say "add X months, X days, X hours, X minutes" and apply that to every photo, rather than doing everything by hand. Any suggestions?

2. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

exiftool is pretty efficient. The exiftool forum is very helpful if you need any assistance.

3. killmoms thread starter macrumors 68040

killmoms

Thanks for the suggestion! I successfully ran exiftool to adjust the date on the photos in question. One problem though—is there any way I can force iPhoto to "re-read" the EXIF data into the library? I'd like to do it without re-importing, since I have some modified images, some that I don't include in the library anymore, etc. Because, of course, iPhoto has already cached the original dates into its XML database of the photos, so if I look at the info now it reads it from the database, not the actual JPG files. Any tips?

4. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Sorry I don't know. Maybe you can remove the cache (and store it somewhere safe in case you need it) and force iPhoto to rebuild. It should be possible but I don't know how.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Start iPhoto with option held down to rebuild the library. This might pick up the new EXIF tags.

B