Changing Garageband Export Quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acey120, Mar 5, 2006.

1. acey120 macrumors newbie

Hi, does anyone know how I can export music from Garageband to iTunes with a lower quality than 1440 kbps? Those files are just too big, and I don't need that much quality for the sound.

Thanks.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

i also would like to know how to do this. thankx

3. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

You can't export your song within Garageband with lower quality compression, but you can convert the song from within iTunes. Here's how:

First, export the song to iTunes

Second, select iTunes preferences, click Advanced and select the Importing tab. For "Import using" and "settings" pick your poison and click OK

Third, locate the song you just exported in the playlist, right click it and select Convert Selection to [the compression you just set in preferences]. For one button mouse diehards, select Advanced from the menu bar then Convert Selection to [the compression you just set in preferences]. iTunes will then create a new track for your compressed song, leaving the original intact.

Fourth, assuming that you will no longer need the original, right click it (you can verify if it's the original by selecting Get Info and checking the compression setting. It it's AIFF, it's the original), and select Clear. You should get a confirmation dialog. Click Remove. Another dialog should appear asking if you want to remove the original to the trash. You do.

All that should remain afterwards is a compressed version of your Garageband song.