Changing iCal icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PlaceofDis, Apr 4, 2005.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ok, well im using this uniform set to change my icons, its sweet and im loving it....but i ran into a problem...

when i change iCal's icon its fine so long as the program is closed, the minute i run the app it changes back to the original icon, is there anyway around this? i have tried changing it using candybar too, but that was rather ineffective as well, i know that there are icons that it changes to in the app's folder

but im not sure how to go about chaning these so the icon always remains one permenant way

anyone?

Thanks in Advance

~Timmy

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This will be due to the fact that when iCal is running it changes the date on it's Icon to the current date. If you can find the correct file inside the iCal bundle (it will look like the iCal icon without a date on it) you could replace it with your own. If you do this back up the original file as you might want to change back at some point!

Note that this will not stop iCal putting the current date on the file. You might be able to stop this be moving the file somewhere else and not replacing it. Depends on the code in iCal...

3. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

yeah i tried changing it, all i get instead is this: (see attachment)

Attached Files:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Looks like iCal does not like the file you replaced it with! Is it of the same type as the one you replaced (i.e. did you replace a .icns file with a .jpeg for example). Even if you have file extensions hidden it matters to Cocoa when it tries to grab a resource.

5. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

ah okay, well now that i got that fixed up, i suppose that this will be the best that i can do huh?

Attached Files:

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Without altering the code. Unless there is some hidden preference to stop iCal adding the date (or perhaps at least change the colour?)

7. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

hmmm now if i could change the color some way i could make it clear, problem solved then, but i would imageing i would have to dig around in the contents folder, ill give it a look over, but i probably won't make it very far