changing iCal language?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toezter, Jul 27, 2005.

1. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

i'd like to change the days and months to a different language. is it possible, if so how?

EDIT: ok, i got it to change, but now my problem is changing the character text.

i want japanese, but either romaji or hiragana. its coming up in kanji, which i don't know yet :p

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think you'd need a whole new localisation. Localisations are stored in Unicode and whilst the words might be the same the Unicode would not be. You would need someone who does know kanji to go through and convert the whole thing.

3. guifa macrumors 6502

Sorry, but that's not exactly the easiest project in the world (having a computer translate kanji into kanas). There are a few projects in the works, but they only have so great of an accuracy.

Remember that Apple localises for native users, not for foreign users, so when you change things to Japanese, you will be using what feels normal for Japanese users, not English-speakers-Japanese normal. However, if you really want to have it in the kanas, there are (somewhere) in the system all of these strings localised in a file called Localizable.strings, although I have no idea where the date strings are at. You could then locate the dates and such transliterate the kanji into your preferred method of display. However, note that that will take effect in all programs that then decide to use Japanese dates and you might confuse a native Japanese person who uses your computer (this may or may not be a problem for you).

By the way, maybe my knowledge of Japanese is being too influenced by other languages, but don't they just say Year Nº Month Nº Day Nº? That's only three kanji to learn, no? Or were you wanting more than just the dates?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can do it without killing the existing localisation. Right click on iCal and choose "Show Package Contents". Navigate to Contents/Resources and copy the Japanese.lproj folder to another name (in Resources), say Japanese (Romanji).lproj. In are all the Japanese specific files. You need to translate all of these for the complete experience, but you can do the files one at a time (and even a bit at a time). Most of the strings should be Localizable.strings file (although iCal seems to have a lot of .strings files). Note that the keys are in English making this a bit easier :)

If you do the whole thing then post it somewhere for others :)

5. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

woah, that'll take me a bit, but will give it a try and post up the news.

about the calander, its changable in system pref. some of it doens't change tho, but OH NO its not like i can't read numbers :)