Changing icons, dock customization, and OS X install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by USCtrojan08, Mar 4, 2007.

1. USCtrojan08 macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2007
    First off.... i am brand spanking new to mac. I really like the idea of being able to completely customize my icons but have a few questions about this.

First: Is there any other way to change an icon rather then doing the whole "get info, copy, and past" thing? Is there a way that i can do a complete system overhaul of my icons?

Second: Once i change an icon how do i/can i get the original icon back?

My second genre of questions has to do with the dock. How do i make separation bars? I want to have more than one.

Lastly: Is there any benefit in buying a mac with os 10.5 versus doing an upgrade? My experience with PCs has taught me that if you do an upgrade with windows its never quite the same as buying a machine with the latest version. I don't know if this is the case with mac.

Thank you :D
  2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    You could take a look at CandyBar, an app that'll apply the icons of your choice across your whole system. If you want to change back to your default icons then you can do this with a click of a button.

The separators you might have seen people using in their screenshots are generally blank app icons that are dragged into the dock – you can download some here and here.

Not really, except that you'll have to pay for the upgrade to 10.5 if you buy a Mac with 10.4. But upgrading shouldn't cause you any issues at all.

Hope that's of some help!