Changing Icons?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wano, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    I was wondering if there is any way to change icons/ that instead of having a plain folder for the subject, I will have picture of for my VIDEO EDIT folders I want to have a camcorder and for my homwork folder I would like to have a pencil or something.
    Is there any way to do this?
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    There are many ways to do this. To modify the system icons you need a tool like Candybnar which can be found on version tracker.
    for all other items /folders all you need to do is highly the icon and hit command- I, the info dialog will pop up and you can highlt the current icon. From there all you need to do is paste the new icon over it and your all set. good luck
  3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Kwyjibo is correct, however he left out the part about creating the Icon art in the first place. Personally I use Photoshop and IconFactory as a plug in.

I creat the art in Photoshop, then use IconFactory to export that art as an OS X 128x128pixel Icon.

Then I copy/paste that icon as Kwyjibo mentions.
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    see it was left out cuz i only use other ppls icons i'm not talented enough to creat my own. try going to for icons. If i download the icon sets you open the information for te icon files that your gonna use
    copy it from there and paste onto your target. I hope u cann follow. Kwyjibo
  5. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    iconfactory has some awesome icons that other people made...they also have a list of other websites where you can get icons.
  6. Gidman macrumors member

Jan 21, 2003
    New York, the City so nice they named it twice
    can you change Icons more than once?

I can's seem to change the icons more than once. Even when I try and copy and paste (using keyboard shortcuts for each) if I try and modify it more than once, it reverts to the first one. Why is that?

Is this a bug?

7. mangoman macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2002
    Second Floor
    If you're a superfreak about icons, then shuck out for Candy Bar. Worth it.
  8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Is there any way to change the system icons (i.e. folders and finder) without using those $10 tools?