Changing ipod touch name (not in itunes)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kristen, Mar 29, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2009
    I bought an ipod touch recently from a friend, and I want to change the name on the ipod itself, in the upper left corner.

I've done the change in itunes, under devices. But that doesn't change the name on the ipod. I've also restored the settings, and all it did was change it from the previous owner's name to 'ipod'.

Is there another way to change it without downloading someone's 'personalize your ipod' app?
  2. macrumors 68040

Nov 6, 2008
    The most populated city in the planet
    I am confused to what you're asking but will try my best to address the problem.

The name of your iPod will be listed under iTunes when you sync the device. You said you have changed that already. Okay... ummm
    You wish to change the name on the top left of your ipod? There is no name there, if that is what you're asking.

On the top left it says iPod and you cannot change that. That is how the iPod touch is made. I'm sure if you jailbroke it you may be able to but without that you can't. I hope that helps :)
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2009

That's what I want to change. I just got it, and it said the previous owners name on it. It didn't say ipod until we tried resetting it.
    It's not jailbroken and it doesn't seem to have any kind of application on there that allows you to change that.
  4. macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    Huh. My iPod has a name in iTunes but it only says 'iPod' where the one in your picture does. I wonder how the other person did that.
  5. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Jan 17, 2008
    It must have been jailbroken, because that 'feature' is not available on a standard iPod touch with the official software.
  6. macrumors 68040

Nov 6, 2008
    The most populated city in the planet
    True. After re-setting it you restored it to it's original settings. If you wish to change that and get your name there, you're going to have to jailbreak it.
  7. macrumors member

Jan 29, 2008
  8. macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2009
    need to be jailbrake and need application called "Make it mine"
  9. macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2011
    Changing Carrier Ipod Touch

if you want to change the name of u'r ipod touch then you have to jailbreak your device you can do that with greenpois0n

then you have to search in cydia : fake operator of MakeItMine to change te name in the upper left.

10. macrumors 68020

Feb 19, 2011
    Why bump a two year old thread with info that's already been posted?