Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuffox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I've just moved my music collection from one external HDD to another. The problem is that I want iTunes to get that, but I can't see, how to do this. The ideal thing would be to find a place where iTunes has a list of all the directories I've given it to get music from and exhange a single drive letter or more there.

Re-importing and duplicate-checking is obviously not a practical solution.

I'd rather not have to delete my library and re-import the whole thing, as there are some songs that make iTunes crash when trying to be importing, thus making it impossible for me to merely drag and drop my entire music folder to the program - I'll have to microimport a few folders at a time.

Please advize. :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced ->General tab.

First thing on the pane.

zuffox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
As is ATM, my iTunes music folder is different from my music collection folder - the iTunes folder only holds converted music and podcasts as far as I figure.

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
move it back and do a consolidate library

alternatively swap the drive letters of the drives, unless there's something else on them that stops you doing that

alternatively again! there is an xml file that stores the locations of the music files. You can edit that in something as simple as notepad... if it's a large library it'll just take a little while for notepad to open it :p

as an aside. If you consolidate library and keep the library files in the directory with the 'iTunes Music' folder, iTunes is very flexible with you moving the whole library anywhere you like, and will rebuild the pointers when you point the iTunes application at the location of the iTunes library file! :)

zuffox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I tried c/p'ing the xml to Word and replacing the previous directory with the new one but to no avail. Does anyone know whether this is actually possible; if so, I should start to look after a mistake, I may somehow have made.

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
don't use word!

notepad will do it. (in accessories in your start menu)

Do you let itunes organise your music? (i.e. does it copy your music to its own location when you add music to it?

EDIT: I just reread the thread :p

I'll ask a different question, is there a reason you don't want iTunes to organise your music?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.