Changing MAC Address

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by ctbuzzy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2013
    Looked around for this, couldn't find anything on point.

Anyway, I'm trying to change the WiFi MAC address on my MacBook Pro, Mountain Lion. I figured out the terminal commands & got it changed, but every time I do it it automatically kills my Internet connection. I stay connected to the router, but I lose Internet. I have to reboot to regain my connection, & that of course resets the MAC address.

Is there a step I'm missing?

Before anyone asks - because they always do - no, you won't be helping me do anything nefarious. I was able to spoof the MAC address on my PC & I want to be able to do the same on my Mac.

2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2009
    Long Island
    After changing the MAC address, have you tried renewing the DHCP lease?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks, but I can't complete that task once I've changed the MAC address. The WiFi connection gets stuck on "No IP Address" or "Self-Assigned IP Address" with a yellow light & I get no connection. I can renew the lease just fine if I don't change the MAC address.
  4. Kornelis, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

macrumors member

Dec 4, 2010
    Amsterdam, NL
    You first need to disable, but not switch off your Wi-Fi adapter:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z

After this change the MAC address and than reactivate the Wi-FI interface again:

sudo /usr/sbin/networksetup -setairportpower en1 on

I guess your Wi-FI interface is en1, I'm not sure for a Mac Pro. I have an Air, so for me it is en0
  5. macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2012
    Czech Republic
    I use this setup:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z linked as airport -z

1. sudo airport -z
    2. sudo ifconfig en1 ether NEW_MAC_ADRESS
    3. done, just reconnect
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2013
  7. macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2010
    I did this procedure and then checked it using the command "ifconfig en0 |grep ether" which show the new mac address i chose. So it seems all good but i went to System preferences > Network > Advanced.. and it's still show the real mac address!! is that normal?
  8. macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2014
    Hey there, I know this is an old thread but I'm having this same problem now on mavericks. The network down/up isn't working I'm still getting self assigned ip and the like. And after I change the MAC back to the previous one, it still won't connect until I do a restart. Any ideas?