Changing Macrumors Name

Discussion in 'Community' started by hvfsl, Jul 14, 2003.

1. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Is there a way to change my name in Macrumors, I picked the name I am using at the moment because it was also my login for Uni, but now I have finsihed Uni I want to change it.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

In general, changing names is not something that should be done lightly - I changed mine and it has caused a few problems, including arn mentioning that there will be no more name changes.

But if it is a serious concern for you, email arn and discuss it with him.

D

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

On this other website i go to people ask for name changes every other week. I praise arn and the mods for stepping up to the challenge and telling people to live with their decisions.

-tazo

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'm not making any promises or speaking from experience but if you were to contribute and become a demi-god arn might be more inspirred to change your name ...just a thought

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

On occasion - minor name changes are allowed - ie, you just registered, and miscaptilizaed your name etc...

In general, dramatic name changes are not allowed (anymore). It causes confusion and too much work.

What if someone registers as hvfsl next week? Would you feel comfortable with someone else with that name?

arn

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

hvfsl was actually my first choice for my name here. Imagine how disappointed I was to learn it was taken. :p

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I go to another board where people can freely make name changes by going to their profile. Their "Login" name would be the same as when you first registered, but the "Screen Name" that appears on the board can be changed easily.

I didn't even notice the lack of ability to change my name from "Abstract" to "Who's Yo Daddy? I'm yo Daddy, Dat's Who!!!". That sucks. :(

Or maybe things are the way they are to prevent people from making such stupid name changes. ;)

8. NNO-Stephen macrumors 6502

NNO-Stephen

yeah, admins usually disable this "feature" for a reason. it's just a royal pain in the ass for everyone and just a bunch of needless confusion.

but yeah, if you suddenly were to contribute, there might be a chance arn would see things in a different, more green light... ;)

9. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Reminds me of the site that's about $10 to change your name.

And $15 to change someone else's.

Dramatic name changes are definintely off, but, can I change my name to Mr Smith? ;)

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So wait, if I contribute, could I change my name from solvs to Solvs? Could have sworn I entered it as a capital in the first place, but whatever. I figured it would be too much of a hassle.

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

What about someone in a situation like me? I mean, just look at my user name... G4 is sooooooo out of style...

But if I did change, I would NOT put any processor name, code name, or model number in it...

Something like MacinScott or something...

Or, I could use my university ID, smd58... oh well...

WAIT!!! I fount it... MacinttocS... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey arn :D

(just kidding... When I get serious, I'll tell you... Of course, it might be fun to register as someone new, and not tell anyone, but the IPs will probably give me away...)

12. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I think it would be a good policy to allow people to abandon names they don't like. The caveat is that they have to accept whatever name the community gives them as their new name.

"Dorfman, I've given this a lot of thought.
    From now on, your name is Flounder."

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Omg, That is So Daring!

I would be so confused, not knowing who you were!

Where is solvs and who is Solvs!!! :p :D

14. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

i changed mine from crazy_will to funkywhat2 some time ago, since my current user name is also my screen name and email login name. however, i wish i had kept it (i'd like crazy_will back, but i don't want to piss arn off/make extra work/break the new rules.):(

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I guess I need to start using the :sarcasm: indicator more often. :p

16. iGav macrumors G3

I wouldn't mind mine changed from iGAV to iGav... just because it feels like I'm shouting unnecessarily, and it sticks out like a sore thumb too... but hey I'm not losing sleep over it! :D

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

haha.

Look at my post do I always need a ':rolleyes: ' to mean sarcasm? :p