Changing Monitors (video cards)

Discussion in 'Games' started by jjdubz, Feb 13, 2006.

1. jjdubz macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2006
    Hi All:

I have a better video card for gaming and cannot figure out how to switch. When I first started playing I was given the choice of which monitor (video card), well I made the wrong choice. This sucks playing with a 16 mb vram card.

2. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    More info please. Usually when you change video cards you do just that you open your computer and replace the video card. What have you done? This kind of doesn't make any sense.:)
  3. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    some definitions:

Computer: where all the action happens. Processor, memory, hard drive, etc. You attach input and output devices to this. Keyboard, mouse, scanner, speakers, display, etc. Sometimes (iMac) the computer has a monitor "built in" to the device. This means you're stuck with that display, but everything's in one clean package.

Display: your screen, or "monitor". The thing that you look at when you're reading web pages or playing games. Does not have any memory. Simply outputs the signal it is given by the graphics card.

Graphics card: a device inside your computer that processes and sends a video signal to the display. This is what you said has 16mb on your computer.

You need to tell us the following information:

What kind of computer do you have? Is it a Mac?
    If so, is it an iMac, a PowerMac, a PowerBook, an iBook, a mac mini or something else?

Click on the Apple menu and select "about this mac" and tell us what that says.

Then click on "more info" and in the window that pops up, select "hardware" and then "graphics/displays" and tell us what it says under "chipset model" and "vram (total)"

Then describe the "new" graphics card you said you have. Is it still in a box? What is it called? Does it say "PCI" or "AGP"? Does it have a little Mac logo on the box?

answer these questions and we can help you.
  4. jjdubz thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2006
    Changing Monitors

Sorry for being so simple in my explanation, I just take for granted everyone else thinks like me :). I am running a G4 (AGP Graphics) with a processor upgraded to 1.2 GHz./1 GB SDRAM/OSX 4.4.

To make a long story short, I found an AGP Radeon 9600 Pro modefied for the older G4's with 64 MB Ram. The card it self looks pretty nice, the most current I believe I can put in this old box. For $85.00 in the box, no rebates required, I am stoked. Thank You OWC!

Thanks Guys
  5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    try holding either shift, command, or control while launching the game you are playing.